OT - Yorkshire Air Museum

I dropped in at the Yorkshire Air Museum near York when I was up there on a client call on Friday.

I had been meaning to visit the museum for years, it being advertised on the A64 as you leave the city. Glad I finally got around to it!

I know there are a number of aviation enthusiasts on this group, so make no apology for pointing up this URL to webshots ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Gloster Gauntlet still flying in Finland

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

One breeds another - if you've not seen it already, you MUST see this!

Bit rude at the end, but who could blame him ...........

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

------------------------------------------------- Wot no Harrier or Pegasus engine,Shame.Nice pics Kim,brought back a few memories like plugging up a Hercules prior to test.the loom was a real pig and made just long enough to connect to plugs and sooo easy to cross thread. Did a few hours on the 593 as well as RB 199 ,Gem etc etc. I have a Pegasus hydro.mech. fuel system gathering dust in daughters garage that I intended to take to a few shows(as an additional exhibit) even mounted it on a board and fixed up a pilots lever.Had a change of mind so must find a museum to donate it to. Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

In message , Kim Siddorn writes

Thanks, Kim - smashing!

His ISP might not be so happy - I predict his bandwidth has just headed north about as fast as the Spitfire :-)

TTFN

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Kim --

Good pix. I'm 30 years out of date with the aviation museum scene, so had no idea there was so much oop north.

Liked the Scott-engined Pou de Ciel, Us ancient reggie-spotters were disappointed not to see which airframe.... Looks unusual, as there were no Pou's in the G-AFFx or G-AFPx ranges. Still a few about hanging on walls & in museums. Best place for them, 'cos so many folk were killed flying them. Was one of Farnborough's early air crash investigations in the wind tunnel -- inherent nose-down instability doomed it's Permit to Fly. Used many engines, from Austin, Douglas, Ford to Scott, & even one ancient Bristol Cherub recycled from an Avro Avis.

Not sure why the soft old Shooting Star got labelled as Widowmaker? Didn't look like a Starfighter in drag..... :-)

Colin

Reply to
Colin

"Colin" wrote (snip):-

I had rather ignored this thread not being particularly interested in aircraft, but the mention of a Scott engined Flying Flea got my attention! Do you have any info on this engine Colin? All I have is the brief mention it gets in "The Yowling Two-Stroke".

Reply to
Nick H

"All I have is the brief mention it gets in "The Yowling Two-Stroke".

Nick -- there were somewhere around 130 Pou's built in the UK. At the height of their fame (1936) there were estimated to be 500 under construction, but unfortunately that was the year they were banned, due to an unrecoverable dive tendency when nose-down resulting in several fatalities.

The Scott Squirrel engine was light & simple, & had quite a few Pou owners as fans. I have seen at least one report which claims they were underpowered in less than ideal conditions. The aircraft at Elvington is a modern example built to original plans, & using a Squirrel AS2 -- no doubt 'cos of the local connection. It's registered G-AFFI, but that's bogus as that was an unallocated mark.

Spent a couple of hours on the Net collecting pix & articles on the Scott-engined Pou's. Can send them over if you are interested. Best article was taken from Jeff Clews' 1974 book "The Scott Motorcycle". See

Also have a list of Scott Squirrels on public display in UK (mainly attached to airframes, but at least in the Pou they are easily visible!

Colin

Reply to
Colin

"Colin" wrote

I have the Jeff Clew book (AKA The Yowling T-S) and hence decent external views of the engine. What I am really after are some internal detail - piston deflector form, con rod section etc etc to see how it relates (if at all) to other Scott designs.

Reply to
Nick H