Pensacola Air Museum Destroyed...

....so says the ticker on CNN last night. It maks me sick as they had some one of a kind stuff. Hope they rebuild somewhere else... - J. D.

Reply to
Jrdme109

all the other reports say the museum survived with minimal damage, a few outdoors planes moved about with damage. The damageto the base on the other hand sounds very bad. Will be passing thru there in bout 10days, I do hope the museum will be open by then. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

please give us an update.

Reply to
someone

if no one else has by then, and I have puter access, I will. We are picking up a DC-3 in St. Petersburg and taking it to Az and that was one of our planned stops. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

Well I see the infamous CNN accuracy has struck again....from the Pensacola News Journal regarding the damage at NAS Pensacola, according to Navy spokesman Patrick Nichols:

"The National Museum of Naval Aviation was almost unscathed by the storm. Nichols said there were a few leaks in the roof, but the exhibits inside were unharmed.

Some of the historic aircraft parked on the tarmac behind the museum were damaged, however. The canopy of an A-6 was sheared off. A couple of wings lay on the pavement and some planes, evidently blown off their moorings, had collided with other aircraft, causing significant damage."

The CNN "destroyed" seems a little overstated.

I wonder how the USAF Armaments Museum at Eglin AFB and their outdoor aircraft, along with all the neat stuff right inside the Hurlbert Field main gate fared? And the aircraft at the USS Alabama Museum?

Regards Jim Barr

Jrdme109 wrote:

Reply to
J Barr

Reply to
Craig

geez, haven't ridden in a gooney since 63...

Reply to
someone

I've jumped out of a few...but not since about 97.

...now that I think about it, I've never made a landing in one...

Reply to
Rufus

my explorer troop jumped out of them when i was a teen. we also climbed mountains....my folks always signed and said go ahead. makes me wonder. (g)

Reply to
someone

The website I get is

is the Aviation Enthusiast Corner website. I can't get to the National Museum of Naval Aviation website right now
it keeps telling me to refresh. Can't tell if it is down or not.

Gary

Reply to
m.gary.kroman

It does but it is down. Seems like all the Pensacola area servers are off-line still.

More contact info (email munged):

National Museum of Naval Aviation

1750 Radford Blvd. Suite C N.A.S. Pensacola, Florida 32508 (850) 452-3604 or (850) 452-3606 Fax: (850) 452-3296 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@SPAMcnet.navy.mil
Reply to
Fre

There are major power outages all over the area. When Frances blew though our area here in Florida power was out up to a week. My internet connections were offline four days. It'll take some time I'd imagine as they took a major hit while we only got 70mph winds and a lot of rain.

Dave

Reply to
HobbyOasis

Ya, it also was CNN that claimed the Nuclear test in North korea, might have just been a forest fire!

FUCK CNN

JJ1284

Reply to
JJ

Told 'em they shoulda flown 'em while they had 'em. :)

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

... got blown away...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Ahhh! Most reassuring; I'm hoping to visit next year after the Nationals in Atlanta. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Todays (9/22/04) Florida Times Union Newspaper (here in NE Fla) said they expect to open in two weeks. The only holdup is the base cleanup work. Report said only 1 of 70 outdoor displays had any significant damage. Also they expect to commence work on the new building that will make it larger than the National Air and Space Museum in DC.

Dave

Dave

Reply to
HobbyOasis