Rallying gas turbines

"Rob Skinner" wrote (snip):-

For that last couple of years I have inflicted a display of small hot air engines on our club for the new years's crank-up and they seem to be generally well recieved, though I reverted to IC with the Maytag this year. I also attend the annual Stirling engine society bash at Kew Bridge. I am most envious of the American scene and regularly drool over the rally pictures - particularly the guy (I forget his name) who builds full size replicas from patent drawings, some of which were probably never commercially produced.

Reply to
Nick H

Can you actually buy Marmite in California, I thought it was peculiarly British perversion :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

"Kim Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

Yes, a very interesting thread Kim with the pros and cons well set out. My conclusion is much the same as yours and reached with a similar reluctance - I'd love to see and hear a Rover fire pump engine running at a rally.

Reply to
Nick H

Hi Philip, No, Marmite cannot be found in our grocery stores. Luckily, I have English friends and international travelers who help keep our shelves well stocked.

Last week Kelley and I had some Australian folks staying with us. After a particularly grueling day of running engines and riding, we sat down with some snacky cakes, Vegemite and Marmite, with the intention of conducting a side-by-side taste test.

The test was most enlightening.

Reply to
Rob Skinner

Hi Nick, The gentleman to whom you are referring is Ole Berge. Alas, he passed away last year.

It appears that you are not on our mailing list for updates and notifications for details about he show. If you email me with your snailmail address, you'll be put on the list.

Reply to
Rob Skinner

As I understand it the fundamental difference is that over here you can not remove your fundamental duty of care to others with either a sign or even a fully signed contract, the duty overrides. Apparently in the US you can, so they can do practically anything if the public accept the risk. Greg

Reply to
Greg

RS> Hi Nick, RS> The gentleman to whom you are referring is Ole Berge. Alas, he passed RS> away last year.

RS> It appears that you are not on our mailing list for updates and RS> notifications for details about he show. If you email me with your RS> snailmail address, you'll be put on the list.

Thanks but sadly not much point in sending me show info as I am highly unlikely to make it across the pond - I'll have to make do with the pictures.

Sorry to hear about Ole Berge, I guess his engines will ensure he is remembered by generations to come, who else of us can claim such a legacy?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Marmite isn't a perversion, it's a *ritual* food.

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs

It took a joint effort of irresponsible yahoos spread across two continents, but the videos of the jet powered chair are now available for your viewing. Please, no women and children, the conent is just too shocking.

?v=fQtAoNV62jA If you missed the stills the first time around, the stills are at
Contact your legislators NOW, before this scourge spreads across the pond!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Rob Skinner

Rob,

You failed to mention that due to the expressed sensitivities and delicate ears of the newsgroup members, the sound track was deleted from the videos. Safety first... 8-))

See ya, Arnie

PS - Of course, some may wish to d>

Reply to
hit_n_miss

Oh!! All noise and no motion, then?

I can see that's really going to take some beating!

Whatever spins your rotor, I suppose!! Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

Ohh!!! All sound and no motion, then?

That is really going to take some beating!

Whatever spins your rotor, I suppose!

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

Rob has performed up to his usual standard of web wizardry and we now have sound for the Infernal La-Z-Boy. Crank up the volume and enjoy!

See ya, Arnie

Reply to
hit_n_miss

Us Saxons & Vikings had a training weekend this one gone & entirely out of the blue, an old friend passed me a Mothercare bag with a stage three compressor blade from a Pegasus in it!

"Surplus to requirements. Put it on the mantelpiece" he said. So there it sits, bracketing the clock with a slave connrod from a Bristol Jupiter on the other side.

No ducks up my walls ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hah! So the Yanks have a jet powered chair! As Shakespeare says 'Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing' Here in the UK we have a jet powered shopping trolley which can reach speeds of up to 50mph, after that the handling becomes 'unstable' apparently :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

"philipte" wrote

Love the sound of that pulse jet!

I was looking for a pic of Martin Baker's rocket propelled test sledge to add to the mix, but found this instead:-

"I knew the curry was a mistake"

Reply to
Nick H

I have a RR blade stuffed and mounted, brand new but with I'm told a fault. Quite intricate in its design.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
Mike.H.

To dangerous to rally :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

The RB211 535 blades are titanium skins on titanium honeycomb centre. (wide chord with no mid span snubber) One day I was engaged in conversation with the RR rep and he admitted that they didn't fully understand how their manufacturing process worked - only that it did!

IIRC the blades are about £60,000 a piece and there's about 23 of them per engine. One night on a routine maintenance check I decided that 3 were iffy and had them replaced. We tested them with an electronic equivalent of a wheel tappers toffee hammer.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian