Re: Workshop break in, and what I learned

I have two workshops and last night I had an attempted break in in my new >one.

>My booby trap worked and they left the scene. > >On the advise of the Police I now have not only a stronger lock but two Baby >monitors. I switch it on in the shed at night and have the other beside my >bed so any noise will wake me. >Thought it was a good tip. >Colin.

We had an attempted break-in last Thursday at the factory, they tried to jemmy the back door open, but as soon as the top of the door moved out of the frame a bit, it triggered the alarm.

Put slide bolts at top and bottom now, door is already sheathed in 16g Zintec with security screws every 4".

Uur insurance broker said, if they had actually got in, the insurers would have paid out, but damage caused without actual entry is not covered!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Colin Jacobs

Can I ask what these booby traps are? My father in law says that i should wire my shed doors to the mains, it's highly tempting but knowing me I'll forget about it and kill myself!

Julian

Reply to
Julian

A simple garden (Soil) rake laid on the floor by the door, as they stand on it, it hit's them on the snout.

All my burgler bars are wired up to an Electric fence transformer at

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Won't work on most of us then.

John

Reply to
John

Only trouble with booby traps is that if a burglar gets hurt trying to clean you out, he would most likely be able to sue you for an exceedingly large amount of ready cash. Myself, an evening class course in Viet Cong bamboo whittling, construction and deployment techniques would be quite interesting, but I suppose PIR and modified car alarm will have to suffice for now!

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

I think you have to get the doors wired up to the mains by a qualified electrician these days - unless you plug them into a socket.

How about a PIR activated Van Der Graaf generator as an idea ? Great big blue sparks would put them off and might jam the mobile phone signals (from the spotter on the corner) ?

I wonder if you can get a generic warning sign for burglars to avoid legal cases - "Danger of death, area only to be entered by qualified personnel - apply to the local police station for course details."

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes, Part P registered too. Don't worry I stocked up on the old coloured wiring, hopefully I'll see me out!

I've got a spare 12volt powered electric fence energiser, that would do. Actually, I've also got a mains powered one, that produces a spark that will come to meet you from about 5mm with a loud crack - I could use that, but first I'll have to insulate the metal doors from earth.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Saw an appropriate sign on our Scottish farming TV programme the other week.They were reporting from the USA and the signs on the perimiter of the farm read "Trespassers will be shot - survivors will be shot again" Don't think it would work in this country but I love the thought.

Kenny Williams

The wild and Woolseley scotsman. Steve wrote:

Reply to
woolseley

another cute sign "trespassers will be violated" sammm

Reply to
SAMMM

Think I saw one in the UK along the lines of

"Trespassers will severely regret trespassing", or was it more elegant "Trespassers will severely regret their lack of judgement" - something along those lines.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Reminds me of the story about the Quaker farmer who caught a thief in his chicken shed. "I wouldn't want to hurt thee for the world, friend, but ye are standing just where I'm going to shoot . . ."

JW²

Reply to
jw²

from a genuine sign. Mersey docks and Harbour board NOTICE This area is dangerous. Trespassers if not drowned will be prosecuted.

Martin McGowan

Reply to
Martin McGowan

There used to be a sign painted on the wall of a builders yard at Bodmin, Cornwall, which read simply...

'Any boys found playing in this yard will be severely dealt with.'

I returned several years later to take a picture and it seems to have been painted over ;-(

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs

I saw one in a Churchyard in Devon which read "Trespassers will be persecuted".

I was shocked, I'd have thought they'd have been forgiven ............

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Seen in Burupta National Park India in Private Area.

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Why is it the Turds that come to take your tools and equipment and other posessions have more 'rights' than the law abiding person who has bought and paid for his property with hard work?

Personally I wouldn't stop at a electric fence transformer. You want something that would reduce the sods to ashes you could dispose of and deny anyone was ever there. Failing that something easily disconnected and hidden.

Reply to
Neil Purling