Re: The weekend

It was like

> archaeology, digging the Bamford out of the morass! When it was extracted, > he got to see engines he hadn't seen for some time!

Sounds like a good garage!

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

It was, though almost as frustrating as my arrangement of having three engines at a neighbours. It is a major undertaking to get at them. Toys should be easily available for playng with IMO.

Having played with said Bamford for a bit, I now realise I need to make new mains for it. I'll post more about this when time allows.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

at a neighbours. It is a major undertaking to get

mains for it. I'll post more about this when time

Arthur, may I respectfully request that you trim your line length. Your posts are very hard to read.

Reply to
see_reply_to_address

at a neighbours. It is a major undertaking to get

mains for it. I'll post more about this when time

Fine on my screen, have you set the screen viewing panel for full-width ? Arthur's post wraps at get / at on the first para and time / allows on the second.

Depends also on your screen resolution.

Default for most email clients is 80 characters, but with proportional fonts that can be incraesed to 130.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Well I can read yours Ok, always have been able to do so. Tell me what your line length setting is. As an Agent user then go to Options/Posting Preferences/General. Mine is set to 66.

A.G. uses outlook express, ISTR.

I can only believe that you can read the A.G.'s postings: but please do not assume everyone has a screen wide enough for a line length in excess of 80 fixed pitch characters, or that the readers' set up is not using fixed pitch font. (Well I suppose you could if you wanted to. If you have something to say why not make it easy for your audience is the way I think about it. My postings are done with that in mind).

If anyone has difficulties reading this due to excessive line length then please let me know. I will alter my news reader settings. It will only take me seconds to do so.

Reply to
see_reply_to_address

But, how small a screen or window/resoltuion are we looking at to need that ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Good for you. Your posts are no problem to me, as I have already said. But there are newsgroup users whose requirements you most certainly don't fully understand. Unless of course I don't understand that you really are omniscient. If so I readily admit my lack of understanding of your status.

Well I run Agent with three panes. The messagepane is the lower and is full screen width; and AG's line length makes it difficult for me to read his text. It was just a polite request to A.G.and doesn't involve anyone else. If I require help on setting up agent there is a newsgroup for that.

Well good for you. I am not going to go into a pissing contest with you. I have no doubt your screen(s) is / are bigger and better and probably more costly than mine. But my personal settings on my newsreader are the ones that suit me. I daily read over 300 postings in 8 news groups. Only AG's postings cause a problem due to line lenth (ignoring header lines of course). I use various screen sizes from 10" to 17". If I am using the 10" vga screen I live with it; but when I am using using the 17" screen it makes reading AG's postings easier if I did not have to keep flitting right then left to read his contributions.

Well here I agree with you, setting line length to 80 would be just fine for me to read AG's contributions on my 17" screen at 1024 X 768 with 12 pt fixed pitch courier font. My setting of 66 characters / line for posting is a choice irrelevant to this news group, but relevant to others. I suspect AG's line length is 125 or thereabouts. Well this is now way off topic, you have expressed your opinion ( which I didn't ask for) and I have explained why your assumption (and it is an assumption) that AG's settings shouldn't be a problem to me. So I will respectfully ask you to butt out, and if AG has managed to read this and could just knock his line length down to your approved 80 characters then I will be happy bunny. If not then I will tend not to read AG's conributions, interesting and informative though they may be.

OK, here is a fact, not an assumption. Your signature does not conform to the common internet convention. See your agent help files. See even you can get it wrong. And you can't even blame Outlook Express.

Now returning to the Peter Forbes unapproved line length of 66.

Reply to
see_reply_to_address

800 x 600 on a 15 inch monitor, which is the sort of size that most people use. #:o(

( My 17" monitor died a week ago, reverting to 15" hurts ! )

Reply to
Barry Ruck

common internet convention. See your agent help files. See even you can get it wrong. And you can't even blame Outlook Express.

My humble apologies re your signature. It is correct. I am wrong.

Reply to
see_reply_to_address

OK, I've set my monitor to 800 X 600, the size doesn't matter as it is the resolution and font size that fixes what you see on the screen.

I can still get 130+ characters across the reply-to window and probably 180 across the screen. 17" or 15" the text would be the same assuming (that word again!) that the font sizes are the same in all cases.

What font size and type are you using ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

My newsreader ( Turnpike ) is quite flexible in that it will switch between fixed and proportional fonts as required. My settings are: Fixed Courier New 12 Proportional: Arial 12

In the case of Arthur's post, I had no problem. In the case of aml's reply, Arthur's text was too long.

Turnpike probably auto wraps as well

Reply to
Barry Ruck