SEM

In another thread Kim wrote:-

"Home to SEM on the mat - nothing of real interest to me in the classifieds, but it's noticeable that the number of ads is increasing now they are mostly free."

Nothing in the classifieds - what about the BIG Tangye twin? I reckon it would crane over the house to make pretty much the ultimate working garden ornament!

Reply to
Nick H

Nick, That's a little one compared with the Internal Fire MLD7 (larger version). If you can give it house room though, it would certainly impress the neighbours.... The MLD7 is quite the most impressive engine I've seen running. I'm really going to have to get down there for a visit before long.

I was amazed at the amount of larger engines in SEM this time. I assume a few people are dispersing collections. Has anyone bought anything this time? I was tempted by the 12/14 Petter S type, but boring old practicality stifled that idea :-(.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

But Arthur, if you bought that one, you'd only need the 18/21 to make a nice set of S types The 12/14 isn't *that* much heavier than the 8hp......

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

Get thee behind me, Philip.

Anyway, my moment of madness has passed and it'll be sold by now :-). I'm glad you didn't press the point when the ad was fresh, I'd never afford that milling machine I've been scheming about for a while.

It would make a rather fine rally display, though, a 5hp, 8hp, 12/14 and an

18/21hp all in a line........................

Still, c'est la vie, as our Gallic friends would say, too many engines, too little shed-space.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

"Arthur G" wrote (snip):-

Says the man with half of Wales at his disposal. Pity me with a two-up, two-down and small single garage to serve as workshop and engine shed.

Reply to
Nick H

"Nick H" wrote

the man with half of Wales at his disposal. Pity me with a two-up,

Point taken.

The only trouble is, Nick, my "half" of Wales is at 45 degrees from the horizontal, between 600 and 1300 feet a.s.l. and lacks a roof . Not ideal for engine storage! My undercover space which isn't used for farming is about the size of an ordinary garage. Admittedly, there is scope for expansion at some point in the future.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

In message , Arthur G writes

Indeed...

Reply to
Peter Scales

"Arthur G" wrote (snip):-

Only joking, we all have to adjust our aspirations to suit circumstances, both financial and spatial.

Reply to
Nick H

Gentlemen,

I'll get a quartet of violins out for you lot soon :-))

Mart> "Arthur G" wrote (snip):-

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I'd have thought the real problem for Arthur in obtaining a big engine is not the room, nor the flat space (he could always excavate into the hill, fewer walls to build) but the sheer difficulty of getting it there!

600-1300 perhaps, but it's the surface and the width, Arthur - still, what is life without a challenge. Go on, phone about it, I bet it's still there.......... ;o))

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn Vade retro, Satanus

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"...adjust our aspirations ..." Not in public though :-) talking of SEM, many of us would like to know where the ******** Philip's Easter article has gone???

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

"Roland Craven" wrote > talking of SEM, many of us would like to know where the ******** Philip's

Hear, hear, I enjoyed Philip's Lister D Genset articles, with his usual mix of useful information and humour, and I would greatly like to see more from the same author.

Internal Fire seems deserving of rather more coverage than SEM gives it. Judging by the comprehensive and continuing Anson coverage, they are keen on museums, or is that one museum?

I'd love to see Philip's Easter Rally Report.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

useful information and humour, and I

Is this a gentle hint I should spend more time in front of the word processor and less time in the shed :-))

Judging by the comprehensive and continuing

I'd be quite keen to know myself! I knuckled down and wrote it hoping it would appear in the magazine in good time to attract some summer visitors to this most excellent museum. Sadly I only write 'em, I have no say in editorial decisions of this nature.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

I must admit that writing stuff and sending to SEM is great fun but you soon loose the will to bother when they dont even acknowledge receipt of your work let alone print it and then a few editions later announce that they are short of articles as has happened to me in the past.

Mart> Arthur G wrote:

Reply to
Campingstoveman