SEM

Arrived very early and is most enjoyable. Good to put faces to all those names and I see that Eric's captioning skills remain sharp :-) cough, sneeze, drip Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland, I'm hoping mine will be waiting for me when I get home. Intrigued to know what rogues' gallery you're referring to!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

I only saw one rogue ;-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland, Having seen what you're talking about, and wanting to stir up trouble - which one's the rogue?

Speaking of stirring, I hope Patrick does a return match photo caption involving Mr. Brain :-)

Thankfully, there's nothing in the classifieds for me, so I will make it through the month fairly solvent!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

I know its not me Arthur, as you can see I'm so old and feeble I've been reduced to using a bathchair :-))

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

methinks etc. etc ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

What you get up to in the privacy of your own home is your business :-) N-n Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Philip Ill be bound.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I missed a WW2 Triumph twin gen set that I'd have dearly loved to have owned. Silly, I just missed it whilst scanning the ads.

Sold by the time Nick H pointed it out, of course.

A vain hope, but I don't suppose anyone knows of another for sale?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Yes, a few interesting bits this month, wonder why that man can't start his Ward and Goldstone? Not a make I'm familiar with, appears to have throttle on the inlet port while fuel is added in the transfer. Something in the back of my mind says W&G were retailers rather than engine manufacturers and it does look rather Wilton like. Nice engine, I must say I rather covet it, and the Waterman on the back cover.

Reply to
Nick H

The A-Z does say that later W&G were fitted with Wilton 2Ts. It certainly is an odd beast. Having the governer operating only on the crankcase inlet must surely play hell with the gas-flow and make some sort of atomiser essential. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

How does the Petter M manage the trick of injecting into the transfer port (an area of widely fluctuating pressures) without a pump, does the rush of air during the transfer phase pull fuel past the ball valve or does that happen during induction leaving a metered charge of fuel to 'wait' in that odd shaped nozzle thing and be blown into the cylinder by the next transfer?

Reply to
Nick H

The bridge in the transfer port diverts the air through the throttle past the atomiser which, under load, is sufficient to give the right mixture. The atomiser needs to be positioned very close

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Have I got my mental picture of the of the Petter M wrong Roland (haven't seen the inside of mine for some years)? I would have thought that negative crankcase/transfer port pressure would lift the ball valve.

Reply to
Nick H

I was sufficiently curious to look out the reprinted 1932 Petter oil engine catalogue thinking that it had a diagram of the 'carburettor' but no. Anyway I guess the guy with the W&G could do worse than try to emulate this general arrangement.

Good luck with radiator and cold, certainly seems to be doing the rounds this year

Reply to
Nick H

Having gone out and looked at the offending article. You are quite right. Shows how unwise it is to rely on a snot-filled head. The atomiser is above the ball. Wife has just reported wet carpet in hall. Radiator only possible source so ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Interesting, is this the Wilton Engine as manufactured at Richmond St , Audenshaw , near Manchester? They were suppliers to the military before the second world war . I live a few hundred yards away from Richmond St and there is absolutely no trace of a factory there now. Ward & Goldstone is still very much in business ,formerly in Salford , a few miles away. Now with production units all over the world. The trade name is " Volex" , products include electrical components ,cables and automotive wiring harness' .

Robert

Reply to
Bob Holmes