Tapers

Gentlemen,

I'm feeling lazy, can anybody tell me what the taper is for a magneto sprocket drive on a ML mag.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Quick answer is NO. What do you want it for? If you hope to turn a taper, that's notoriously difficult.

John

Reply to
John

I wish to turn a taper.

Reply to
campingstoveman

There are three common sizes:

I can scan the page out of the Wipac book, I cannot find my Magneto book by A P Young at the moment.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Thge new page is:

If you look up the ML magneto type in the following tables:

There will be the BESA taper type listed against each magneto, that cross-references to the new page.

There are three main types, M, K and E&G.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Looked at that chart thank you Peter and came to the conclusion it's not published by an engineer

Loads of charts and tables are like this but miss out the main bit of information, the angle. Without that it's not a lot of use.

Anyway for information purposes the first two the M and the K although of different diameters they share the same 1/2 angle of 5.735 degrees. The E&G has a slightly different angle of 5.722 degree which in real life means they are all 5-3/4 degrees and a bit of wet and dry.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

That is also repeated in the A P Young book, almost the same as the one on the website IIRC.

Presumably they didn't want 'ordinary' folks making up their own shafts or magnetos! :-))

Don't know where those figures originated, but they are all BESA standard.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Thanks gents,

Another source suggests 1 in 10 also.