Tools: Puller

I have just started renovating a Lister CS. I didn't like the position of the flywheels on the crankshaft, so I thought I should move them. I noticed that there were no pegs in the keyways so I thought this was going to be easy. It wasn't! I have been applying penetrating oil several times a day, everyday since Sunday, and there is no sign of anything moving. It's time to consider investing in some sort of Puller tool. This is all new to me, so I have no idea where to start looking, or what to ask for. George Breckenridge (a US expert on Indian lister clones) says that what is need is a 'Go Lightly Puller' - whatever that is.

Can anyone recommend a tool that will do this job, and let me know where I can get one from?

Thanks (in anticipation),

Mark

Reply to
j.mark.walker

I'm not quite clear but assume you mean that the keys have already been removed? If so, and if close inspection reveals no remains in the depths, then they should turn. (Unless they have run loose and galled) I suggest lightly inserting one key and making a rope and pipe windlass on both flywheel circumferences. Then pull the two pipes in opposition (or put one on the ground and lean on the other). Easier and potentially less damaging than a puller. I can't find words to describe the process but take several turns of a closed loop of rope around the flywheel then insert the pole in such a way that the pull of the pipe tightens the turns. transfer key to the loosened one and repeat for the other :-) Sorry I cannot describe it better.

Reply to
Roland Craven

Spanish or sometimes referred to as a Mexican windlass

| > Can anyone recommend a tool that will do this job, and let me know | > where I can get one from? | |

Reply to
Mason

Roland,

Thank you for this. I will give it a try. Strange thing is that the keys were not there when I collected the engine. I think the 'run loose and galled' scenario is correct. This would explain why the wheels are in strange positions (one but up to the crank case, the other miles away).

Mark

Roland Craven wrote:

Reply to
Mark Walker

Reply to
Scott McAfee

A 3 jaw pulley-drawer would be better but used with caution so a not though smash the fly wheel/pulley if it is made of cast iron and maybe the gentle application of a little heat.

Reply to
Mason