Trailer

Hauled the trailer out the other day and the brakes were dragging, so stripped one side down and found things a bit of a mess. The brake equalisers were seized, the adjusters were seized, one of the brake linings was delaminating off the shoe and so on.

Upshot of it all was a trip to get new shoes and springs, bought two new axles while I was there, and decided that a new trailer is on the cards for the autumn.

Got most of one side reassembled today, but despite a forecast for a fine dry day, it is cloudy and spitting with rain...

New trailer will follow closely what we did on the old one, but will make the chassis out of 100 X 50 X 5mm box this time, rather than the 50 X 50 X 5mm box we used on the original, which we subsequently extended and strengthened before out last trip to Spain.

The old one will be sold on ebay later this year.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

If you're increasing the box size, could you reduce the wall thickness and save some weight?

John

Reply to
John

Yes, that's possible, but we would only go down to 3mm at the most as it welds better than the thin stuff.

For attachment of the rear gate hinges and the rope hooks, the 5mm is much better to get a heavy weld onto.

Good thinking though... Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

We found delamination in some of the other shoes as well, not very encouraging and these are German brake assemblies.

The only thing that nags me on all these things is that the backplates for the brakes are welded to the beams, so if you damage one you are completely stuffed and have to replace the whole beam assy.

The new beams have bolts rather than studs for wheel retention.

Peter

Peter A Forbes