More Trailer stuff

Found a company that will manufacture 'specials' in the way of suspension beams for trailers:

The two beams we bought last week are standard, but they will make to order with non-standard bracket/saddle positions etc.

Trailer body fittings:

Usually supplied through the trade, but they also have a Trade Counter at their place in Walsall, happy to serve anyone with a Trade Order and money...

Helpful trailer/spares resellers:

located in Nottingham

Good site for dimensions and information:

Indespension have been largely overtaken by other companies who have been faster to grasp the internet and set up decent sites.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

While looking for an Al-Ko tow hitch damper and brake shoes I came across :-

Although the saddle brackets seem to be fixed dimensions for the axle capacity required, the overall width and wheel pcd can be chosen to order.

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

There's always

fairly good for mail order or the three stores across the country. I found another one once .. can't remember where.

Can't go far wrong with an Ifor Williams:

.. spares now listed

Regards,

MJE

Reply to
M. J. Everitt

MJE,

You haven't seen Peter's current trailer, if he had built it during WW II it would have been classed as a tank transporter, his new one will be for two tanks if I know Peter :-)) Towsure is well out of his league :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

It was built, not thrown together, and has served us admirably over the past 10 years, but we have a new one well under way now, just finalising the drawings so that we have all the mod's that we wanted, done.

Max Gross Weight is 2600kg, but it weighs just over 500kg and the van is rated only for 2000kg trailer all-up weight (4900kg GCW)

Lots of 'niggly' little things, like stowage for the two spare wheels, the drawbar is 'just' too short to lay them behind the coupling out of the way.

We have kept the 20mm ply decking with ali chequerplate over the top, but will do the support metalwork differently, with 75 X 50 cross beams recessed below the 100 X 50 X 5mm perimeter frame.

More ropehooks, always useful...

Trying to work out someplace to put the two planks we use to roll the chargers up onto the trailer with, and we also have four ali extruded channel pieces in the workshop for ramps which we didn't use in the end.

A winch we have, never used it so probably won't bother with it on the new one, although making provision might be worthwhile.

The biggest problem we have is finding an oven big enough to do the powder coating in....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

It sounds like it'll be a jolly good trailer, is there a specific reason for undertaking this much work rather than just buying one? I'd prefer to spend my time on an engine or tractor perhaps!

Julian

Reply to
Julian

Basically, we cannot buy what we need, that's why we built the first one.

We need something that will load anything from rail mobile chargers to a large stationary engine or 3 large (contractor) bales of hay or a load of scaffolding.

It has to have a flat deck with reasonably low loading height, be able to take high point loads and have all-round access.

Most we have had on the original is a JK4 Generating set, weight unknown but probably 2-1/2 tons without radiator and manifolds. Martin will remember removing that one...

It has been so useful on so many occasions, we'd be lost without it!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

That and 2 x single cylinder CAT engines and other stuff, as I said a tank transporter.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Yes, I had forgotten about they..... :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Nice trailer in Martin's pic.

Two spare wheels? How about one on the trailer and one in the van for those long journeys when you're fully laden? Don't forget a jack. Small trolley jacks in a plastic case are now quite cheap. You'll need a wheel brace as well.

I looked at chequer plate for my trailer. I didn't like the patterned surface though. It makes shovelling and sweeping more difficult. I tend to use mine for builders stone though which you probably don't. Mine is a platform trailer with wheels under the deck, Iffor Williams style. Very versatile but the deck is higher. Have you considered removable sides. It adds to the versatility.

The obvious place for your loading planks or ramps is underneath the trailer. It looks like you've more unused width than length but that should give you about 6ft storage length.

Winches are a mixed blessing. They take up space and are rarely used. When they are though they become invaluable. How about an anchor point for a cheap wire rope puller? They're brilliant things and are very versatile. ie thay can be taken off the trailer and used for other jobs.

Powder coating? How about hot dip galvanising. Much more robust and longer lasting.

Don't forget to made provision for locking it up. Your works location may be secure but it will get left unatended on motorway services and for overnight journeys. A lockable hitch cover doesn't work when it's on a vehicle, they just unbolt the towball and take that as well. If you can use wheels with larger holes, a good chain and padlock works well. While you're making it, MIG your post code onto the drawbar and somewhere underneath before chasis treatment. A thief will see the post code on the draw bar and grind it off. That leaves a nasty mark for the police to look for but doesn't make the trailer yours. The hidden post code then identifies the trailer to you both because you know exactly where it is and what it says. Signwriting also makes it distictive and advertises your business. Much easier to spot at a distance as well. Lock the spare wheel on as well of course.

I'm glad you use a light board. Again, versatility, it can be used elsewhere. I don't know if your trailer is towed by more than one vehicle. If it is, sprung stainless steel number plate mountings are available. The No plate can be swapped in seconds. A cheaper way is to use wing nuts. That does need everyones No plate to be drilled in the same place though. The spring type doesn't need that. Don't you need side reflectors as well as lights these days? Put runs of reflective tape on the rear and sides of the trailer. It makes it stand out especially at night. It may save you an accident that you never know about.

John

Reply to
John

We have two spares for the trailer and two for the van. A lot of our trips are long-distance and at night, so we take extras just in case.

We have had two instances of blowing/puncturing two tyres on a trip in the past, one in a car when we clipped a silencer on the motorway which fell underneath the car in front and we didn't have time to avoid it, and the other was on a van trip when we had a puncture followed a bit later by a totally unexplained blow out on the A19.

Got all that in the van.

No, we have carried a load of paving stones in the past, and bagged sand and gravel, but nothing loose.

We looked at wheels under the platform, but the wheel and tyre options are pretty limited, and the deck height (and the towball height) starts to get a problem for us.

We have 2.8metres of deck, but to keep the towball height correct, we cannot raise the body high enough to get the planks underneath the body and over the axles.

Plenty of attachment points/ropehooks, and we have a 3/4 ton Pul-Lift which is invaluable, both out and in the workshop.

Looks awful after a few years :-))

We shot blast the frame then Zinc Spray it before powder coating.

The coupling has a built-in lock and we never ever leave it anywhere unattended. It is inside a locked storage at the farm undercover. It is also a bit distinctive and not easily sold, we photographed it and the insurers are happy with that.

A decent sized bit of chain won't go through the holes on our wheels unfortunately, but a good thought.

As above, I don't think it is as 'theiveable' as a standard Ifor Williams trailer, certainly we have never had a serious attempt at theft over the years, although before we had the farm storage we had it chained to a tree with a BIG piece of stainless chain and a Chubb padlock.

Not much room on ours as there are no panels.

We will on the new one, the old one doesn't have storage on the trailer itself, which is why we carry them in the van.

We don't, ours is part of the trailer but suspended on three rubber exhaust mounts.

Mixed feelings about lighting boards....

Not long enough, but I might fit some on the new one. There are side lights on the mudguards which are visible from the side.

Cannot stand the stuff myself, prefer amber reflectors, but a good safety point.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

I was thinking of storing them across the trailer underneath and behind the axle. Don't know whether that's possible with your chassis design though. You could always use them as removable sides.

Works though. Don't tell Martin it looks terrible. He'll wipe it with an oily rag and call it patina :-)

Wire rope?

John

Reply to
John

Don't go down that road..... :-))

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

To late, what's wrong with an oily rag and patina, better than a shiny painted surface any day.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Is that what yo tell SWMBO when you are asked to do the decorating??? :-)

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

you guessed correctly, I decorate because I have to not because I want to :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

With an oily rag or paint & a paintbrush??:-))

Regards

Andy

Reply to
andyengine

No sooner said....

Picked up a large hex head self-tapper and captive washer this morning, right in the shoulder of the tread, so it's off to the major repairer to get fixed, takes about a week.

Second spare comes into play...

Peter

Peter A Forbes