TSR 2

This aircraft has often popped up in discussion over the years. Some may be interested that a restored example (XR222) will be unveiled at IWM Duxford at 1030 on 16 December. After that it will go into storage until 2007. Info from Aeroplane. ttfn

Reply to
Roland Craven

Many years ago I did some work on the said Aircraft when I was a volunteer, its been at Duxford for years. Later on the RAF called it the Tornado :-))

Mart> This aircraft has often popped up in discussion over the years. Some

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I was on Development at Bristol Siddeley Engines when they were developing the Olympus 593D. A lowly gear in a mighty machine, I was frequently in the right place at the right time and as un-noticed as the wallpaper to witness some interesting sights.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The Tornado was the name given to the "in service" version of the MRCA - Multi Role Combat Aircraft. The TSR2 stayed just that when scrapped as it never went into a production run.

Mike Ricketts

Reply to
Mike Ricletts

My father spent about 10 years of his life in the development of the avionics on the TSR2. He, like a lot of others, is still 'gutted' at its loss as he believed it to be the most advanced aircraft of its time. I guess that a lot of the technology appeared on later planes (the head-up display and ground hugging technology for instance) but it took a while.

Mark

mark.howard10

A comment in an old Flight "Straight & Level" page:

"The scrapping of TSR2 was good for the MRCA"

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen,

Here is something of interest to you all.