Wico EK revisited

Sorry to repeat the post, but as I cannot see it I thought I better start again. Thanks for the reply Dave, that was where I first seen the idea, like the guy who wrote it, I would be wary of how long this would last under constant running. I have two old EK cases, so I may try the piezo generator in one and I would like to try fitting a modern coil from a newish scooter or the like, very small in physical size, with a small 6v sealed battery from the same place. These batteries are also small, but would like to find a smaller one to try to contain it all in the EK case. I do not know how long the battery of this size would last but its got to be worth a try !!! At least it would keep it looking original, but with the modern day reliability.

Cheers, MartinH

Reply to
Martin Hirst

OK, here's an idea that would possibly be a runner:

Use a coil and battery, but also use a proximity switch on the EK plunger, so that no actual contact is made, then drive the coil through that via something robust enough to withstand the back emf of the coil etc.

We use a Sick (maker's name) proximity switch on our 750V DC carriage feed heads, and they control a big contactor through a relay. That night not be fast enough for you but definitely worth a try.

The lack of mechanical clonkety-clonk of the EK would make it very quiet, you'd need to make it so that if the engine stops, the coil isn't being fed DC continuously or it would burn out, just the same as a standard one would.

Scooter mag type coils are fed by AC BTW, comes from the flywheel mag generator.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Martin, (sorry if this is a duplicate, originally posted to the earlier thread)

Rob's input from the US reminded me that you can get nearly all of the bits you need for EKs (coils, points condensers, casings etc) from either Hit and Miss

or Starbolt
. Request catalogues first.

I've used Starbolt and been pleased with their service. Hit and Miss I've had some difficulty with, I suspect because they rather overzealously filter email and a lot of overseas mails get zapped. I have no complaints other than that. In the end I got stuff from them by ringing an order in.

You mentioned modern reliability. Being a Luddite, I feel that a mag which was made in the twenties and still works (like the EK on my Bamford 2hp) is an example of real reliability :-). I can't see a piezo electric system still being operational 80 years from now.

HTH Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

For magneto parts in the US I would suggest either Bill Loupolus or Ted Brookover. ttfn Roland

bits you need for EKs (coils, points condensers,

. Request catalogues first.

had some difficulty with, I suspect because

zapped. I have no complaints other than that.

was made in the twenties and still works

can't see a piezo electric system still being

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I've no experience of Ted Brookover, but when I tried Bill L, I didn't get a reply for ages. Reading Smokstak some while ago, I saw several others had the same trouble. I think he is struggling to cope with the amount of business.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

reply for ages. Reading Smokstak some

to cope with the amount of business.

I had an exchange of emails with Bill a while back, and he said then that pressure of work had caused problems with customers.

Nice guy though, and like Ted Brookover, probably more deserving of our trade than most.

Pity diesels don't have magnetos :-))

Peter

Prepair Ltd

"Prepair Ltd" wrote> Pity diesels don't have magnetos :-))

Not much of a pity! Expensive little devils, magnetos.

Am I correct in thinking that Rudolf Diesel originally expected to have to use spark ignition for his engine, or is that a myth?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Rudolph? Glow plug? Red Nose?

Can't be Christmas already can it?

Reply to
George Hendry

:-))

spark ignition for his engine, or is that

He tried a lot of things, including a design for coal dust which was one of the more memorable!

There are a couple of good biographies of Diesel, I have one version and the other is relatively similar on detail.

Seems a shame that he ended up almost certainly committing suicide in the Channel...

Krupp is another name that has a lot of links with engineering stuff, it's another good winter's night read.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Sometime ago, I turned up information on a pretty cheap (sort of twenty quidish) kit of parts to convert dead magnetos to electronic ignition. I think it was called Atomic & haled from Australia.

When my C drive achieved a perpendicular mammary posture last November, a lot of URL's that I'd bookmarked went with it - anyone remember the details as a google search failed to make them appear.

I even have a grotty "how too" faxed sheet from Central Spares Ltd which doesn't have contact details - very useful! A search of their website was very interesting but produced no leads.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Try:-

The chances of this url surviving unmangled are tiny, but if you plug 'ignition atom australia' into google groups search it should get you back to the relevant thread from a couple of years back.

Reply to
Nick H

It survived, the Lord alone knoweth how ;o))

Suppliers in the UK are

Central Spares Unit 3-6 Brook Road Dorset Wimborne BH21 2BH Phone: 0202 882 000 ENGLAND Products carried: MODULES

Their website says this:-

Atoms patented Electronic Ignition System has been and still is used on many Original Engine Manufacture (OEM) engines in Europe, USA and Asia. The Ignition Module was also developed as a spare part to replace points and condensers in small engines, and many millions have been and are sold worldwide. In 1975, they were awarded "Inventor of the Year" for this product on the ABC program "The Inventors".

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn