Wooden trollies

I'm not exhibiting as I am narrating in Shrewsbury on Saturday. However, I'll but will drop in on Sunday on the way home if the weather is anything like.

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Is any else going to Flookburgh this weekend?

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Gentlemen, As all of us engineer's know the perfect chair, table etc has only three legs the fourth is only there for esthetic reasons. Most big engines are built onto a trolley with three point contact only, even though they have four wheels. I am refering to the rear axle and the steering pivot which has enough slop in it to allow for uneven ground. As an added extra I actually sit my engines on a thin piece of cork under each corner to remove the mechanical connection between engine and trolley. Those who have wooden trollies have this in-built.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I have changed my email address slightly, which should fix that problem. I take it Mr. Burnett is in BC also?

Personally, I've bought lots of nice first growth timber at demolition sales, though I've never built anything as nice as that cart with it.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Rob

In message , Kim Siddorn writes

In my youth, I was a bell-ringer, and the stays that prevent a church bell from making more than a 350-degree revolution were traditionally made from ash, bent to shape in a steam-box. It sure was springy... Smashing a stay could be entertaining, as long as it wasn't you, or the person next to you.

Let me tell you that you can't fit a whole human being through a four inch diameter hole, they only go as far as the armpit (or possibly groin). A minced-up human is different. The drill for a smashed stay was to drop the rope and stand smartly back (ten feet would be good), as three-quarters of a ton of tenor bell wound in another 20 feet of rope in considerably less time than it will take you to read this sentence. In the words of the Pythons, hanging on was "right out"! The more enlightened amongst us would realise their plight and let go when they were only seven feet up - ballistics being what they are, they would continue to rise for a bit :-)

TTFN

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Believe me Kim, this engine does not induce a bend in the trolley timbers, if anything it is far more than it needs. The Unknown is not that heavy. Nev always goes over the top, in my opinion, which is not a bad thing, at least you know they are safe. The perfect example being the big Reid, we strengthened the hardwood trolley with 10mm wall, 70 x70 box section just to make sure. So as you stated Kim, I would say if the engineering of a trolley is correct, it does not matter if it is in wood or timber, as long as it is suitable for the job.

Cheers, MartinH

Reply to
martin hirst

And the punishment at my church was that the person responsible for breaking the stay was the one who was sent up to replace it - age and agility permitting!

Reply to
Jupiter

That would be more like 370 or 380 degrees. Can't see how you'd get the bell up if it'd only do 350.

The stay breaking is a safety measure -- much better to find yourself on your way to meet the bell than have it leap out of its bearings and come to meet you...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Shipman

In message , Nick Shipman writes

I stand corrected.

I couldn't agree more. I have rung in towers that have made me wish I'd donned the khaki underwear, with frames and masonry that weren't so much loose as actively looking for new digs. Ringing half-muffled was quite an education, all the stonework humming and buzzing (in different keys) and the fine mortar dust drifting from the joints.

For those interested,

(hosted by my day-job) details some of the problems that can beset a tower and belfry. Richard is an ex-boss of mine, and while I can't say I introduced him to ringing, I think I may have influenced him to try it.

I have no idea what this has to do with stationary engines :-)

TTFN

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Kim, I saw the engine in question today at Welland and the trolley shows no visible deflection. It's just that the grain is curved.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G