Bachmann Super Voyager Tilting Train

Just picked up one of these for my son's Christmas present.

Has anyone else had issues with the thing derailing with monotonous regularity? The power car seems to c*ck a wheel when running in one direction when entering a curve (second radius Hornby). Track is well laid smooth and flat on a cork base so no issues with the track and nothing else derails, not even APT sets. I'm inclined to return it, but on the off chance that there is something obvious I'm missing, I'm asking the question.

Thanks in advance.

Alastair

Reply to
Alastair

Check back-to-back of the wheels.

However, if you want your rights protected, you should return it.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Good call. I've just taken a look and the back to back measurements are fine.

Examining the thing further, I now suspect the tilt mechanism. It appears it only acts on one bogie per vehicle and it does create considerable resistance when entering a corner. The Hornby APT units, by comparison, glide with minimal resistance despite the long wheelbase bogies. Granted the APT is a toy by comparison, but it is elegantly simple and works well.

Looking at the Bachmann unit generally, I have to comment that it doesn't seem particularly well made. Several of the bogie sideframes are a poor fit. Maybe I've got a dud..........

Reply to
Alastair

I had to return mine with the same fault, the tilting mevhanism made a bogie too tight and would not negotiate a curve. do return it as a dud. regards, Steve

Reply to
Brush4

Thanks for the reply Steve. Was another one better then or did you decide to steer clear?

Reply to
Alastair