Basic 'O' ?

The other day I had the chance to inspect in detail a 'O' DMU. As I turned it over I was surprised to find the chassis was a piece of wood !

Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful crafted and detailed loco, but the basic concept was a wood board fitted with the running gear and the body shell placed on top.

I know some of these ready to run models cost =A3500 to =A32000 plus, although I have seen for example a Heljan Class 35 for about =A3270, and the kits from about =A3400 upwards, it just surprised me they would simply use a piece of wood.

Still if it works then it works :-)

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

The Mosquito of WWII fame was a piece of wood - just don't sell any in the Tropics!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Which reminds me of Greg(ory) P(eck) who starred in "The Purple Plain" (1954) in which a Mosquito (aeroplane) crashes in the tropics David

Reply to
chorleydnc

I missed that one.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Whats this, was there a New Zealander as well as a Jap that didnt realise the war had ended in 1945 ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Going into free association here:

- Huhh, I hadn't even been thought of in 1945!

- OTOH my uncle still hasn't come back from the RAF and bombing Berlin.

- My psychology lecturer suggested it takes a further two generations beyond those actually involved to get beyond the trauma of any given war.

- My uncle (different one) spent 5 adolescent years in a Japanese POW camp, bought his first Japanese car about 1995.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The 'in' joke of December 1981 was :-

" What type of wood does not float ? ............................................ Natalie Wood "

Talking about the tropics, some tropical woods do not float and some do not rot untreated for over 30 years !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Sure, but take UK plywood and experimental glues from the UK to the tropics and you have a short-life product.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Dragon Heart" wrote

I think you really mean that the 'floor' was a piece of wood - in which case I would suggest that it's a perfectly reasonable material to construct one from.

If a DMU has a 'chassis' as normally defined, I'd tend to suggest that it would consist of the solebars and similar cross-bracing girders. The prototype unit would also have a 'floor' but it would probably be constructed from steel sheet.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

When I turned it over there was a piece of timber with the running gear attached !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Yes agreed, and I said that was perfectly reasonable. Many modellers see little point in recreating what cannot be seen from the normal viewing angle.

John.

Reply to
John Turner