Basic 'O' ?

The other day I had the chance to inspect in detail a 'O' DMU. As I
turned it over I was surprised to find the chassis was a piece of
wood !
Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful crafted and detailed loco,
but the basic concept was a wood board fitted with the running gear
and the body shell placed on top.
I know some of these ready to run models cost =A3500 to =A32000 plus,
although I have seen for example a Heljan Class 35 for about =A3270,
and the kits from about =A3400 upwards, it just surprised me they would
simply use a piece of wood.
Still if it works then it works :-)
Chris
Reply to
Dragon Heart
The Mosquito of WWII fame was a piece of wood - just don't sell any in the Tropics!
Greg.P.
Reply to
Greg Procter
Which reminds me of Greg(ory) P(eck) who starred in "The Purple Plain" (1954) in which a Mosquito (aeroplane) crashes in the tropics David
Reply to
chorleydnc
I missed that one.
Reply to
Greg Procter
Whats this, was there a New Zealander as well as a Jap that didnt realise the war had ended in 1945 ?
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
Going into free association here:
- Huhh, I hadn't even been thought of in 1945! - OTOH my uncle still hasn't come back from the RAF and bombing Berlin. - My psychology lecturer suggested it takes a further two generations beyond those actually involved to get beyond the trauma of any given war. - My uncle (different one) spent 5 adolescent years in a Japanese POW camp, bought his first Japanese car about 1995.
Reply to
Greg Procter
The 'in' joke of December 1981 was :-
" What type of wood does not float ? ............................................ Natalie Wood "
Talking about the tropics, some tropical woods do not float and some do not rot untreated for over 30 years !
Chris
Reply to
Dragon Heart
Sure, but take UK plywood and experimental glues from the UK to the tropics and you have a short-life product.
Reply to
Greg Procter
"Dragon Heart" wrote
I think you really mean that the 'floor' was a piece of wood - in which case I would suggest that it's a perfectly reasonable material to construct one from.
If a DMU has a 'chassis' as normally defined, I'd tend to suggest that it would consist of the solebars and similar cross-bracing girders. The prototype unit would also have a 'floor' but it would probably be constructed from steel sheet.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
When I turned it over there was a piece of timber with the running gear attached !
Chris
Reply to
Dragon Heart
"Dragon Heart" wrote
Yes agreed, and I said that was perfectly reasonable. Many modellers see little point in recreating what cannot be seen from the normal viewing angle.
John.
Reply to
John Turner