Basic question - flexitrack

Flexitrack comes without fishplates (or the stuff I have does). Now, as I understand it it's arguable that with flexitrack you don't use fishplates
but I want to; at least for now.
How do you fit fishplates to flexitrack? I've tried easing them in under the sleeper chair but they don't want to go. Do I need to cut the sleeper or chair, if so where and with what tool?
Graham Harrison wrote:

I use a Stanley knife to cut the chairs off the last sleeper. Be careful, however, as you ought to reduce the thickness of that sleeper at the top by the thickness of the fishplate, otherwise the rail will not sit level at the rail joint.
Alternatively, leave a larger gap in the sleepering at the fishplated joint, and slide some thinner sleepers into the gap to make it look good later.
--
Jane

On 10 mar, 17:25, "Graham Harrison"

I usually lose the first sleeper and cut the rail such that the joiner is in the clear. When all is settled and running OK I go back and slip a single sleeper (minus its chairs) under the joiners and fix it with a spot a weak glue. More than one sleeper being removed however poses a real risk of over gauging and finescale wheelset will fall into the hole - especially on curves! A normal modelling knife is quite adequate for the amputation procedure.

If a flextrack joint on a curve is unavoidable, it's best to solder the joint before bending the track.
--
Martin S.

I wanted to say that, avoid flexitrack joins on curves like the plague but as Martin says solder and cut to rails to final length, before fixing down, also fit one piece of track then t'other to it, - then fiddle about with them. Theres a modest atricle with couple of useful points in this months BRM - by Nigel Digby hence is useful. Not aware of any arguements against fishplate join with flexitrack - is anyone else ?
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

A fishplate by itself isn't enough to keep two rail ends aligned when they are sprung to a curve. (ie a join between two flexitrack curves) The rail (as opposed to the track) can be bent to the required curve if it's impossible to avoid such a join. Put a little length of solder vertically between two rail ends on top of the fishplate and heat with soldering iron while pushing the rail ends together. That will result in a rigid join.
Greg.P.
On Friday, March 11, 2011 4:51:28 AM UTC+11, simon wrote:

If you don't use flex-track on curves, how do you handle transitions (or easements)?
John

But of what value is a transition on a non-ride-on model railway, for if there are unprototypical tight curves. the appearance of trains on the tightest part of the curve will be unaffected by any transition leading in?

You do use flexitrack on curves, just try to avoid joins. Or to rephrase try to use single length of flexitrack for curve even if means have to cut shorter straights before and after curve. It can mean extra work but is well worth the effort.
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

If one lays a 610mm radius curve then a 90 degree turn requires about 958mm of track. That's more than a standard 915mm length of flexitrack!
Greg.P.
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:11:47 -0000, "gareth"

Apart from looking more prototypical, it "steers" the train into the curve instead of throwing it into it.

.com...
Also, with some layouts you can have the transition in the visible section and the tightest curves hidden from view.
MBQ

You can simulate it with settrack by using one or more half-sections of larger radius as a lead-in. However, I personally prefer flextrack.
For any nominal radius of more than about 18", you will need more than one 36" length of flextrack for a 90 degree curve, hence a joint.
--
Martin S.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

I lay my transition curves so that my standard length bogie coach rigid corridor connections remain within 3mm of alignment. I originally had a 22" radius set-track (Atlas) without any easement and as each coach fully entered the curve it's entire corridor connection pointed out onto the ballast while the opposing coach cc pointed to the blank wall of the proceeding coach. The transition curve has to start about a coach length along the old straight alignment and the middle 30 degrees of the 180 degree curve is now 15" radius but it most definitely looks far better that it did originally, with or without a train. A wider (and longer) baseboard would be an alternative, but moving the walls outwards or blocking the entrance door is just not acceptable to SWMBO.
Greg.P.

Who said anything about not using it on curves?
MBQ

For curved use of flexitrack, remove the rails from the sleeper and bend them in bending rolls(Yes, I know, _FLEXI_) Use WD40 to slip then back into the sleepers.

Try that with code 55.
MBQ