Bridge clearances

Hi all, back after 6 months off list.

Have added a new section to our layout that includes a canal. Track must cross this canal and by requirement must also clear the associated bridle paths.

Can anyone help with the required clearance between the underside of the bridge and the bridle path. I gather it must be high enough for a horse to pass but the big question is what type of horse. To pull a canal boat did they use Clydesdales or pit ponies.

Alternatively did they use a standard 6 foot clearance and tough luck for any horse that was taller. It just had to duck.

Many thanks as always for any answers.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Robson

From what I remember of walking along the towpath of the Trent And Mersey in Stoke, I would say that the clearances were a scant 6' at best. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Having ridden a bike along canal towpaths, I have encountered several bridges of 6'6" and less and at least one of under 6'.

Guy

-- "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

I've heard of some where it was necessary to remove the barge's chimney and for the crew to lay down when traversing them.

Suspect that 6'0" wouldn't be far from the limit though.

John.

Reply to
John Turner