Colour of concrete

I have built an LMS coaling tower from plasticard based on the one at Carnforth, from photos I took, and drawings in LMS Engine Sheds. I
gave it a bit of texture with a thin coating of polyfiller, but I cant decide on what the actual colour the concrete should be before I weather it. Any ideas? Cheers.
"Pete Rigby" wrote

Nope, concrete could & does vary enormously depending upon the source of its constituents, anything from a very light beige or grey to almost black-grey.
John.

I agree with John, with light grey probably being the most common. However, for reasons that I cannot explain, light beige always looks 'right' for a coaling tower, to my eyes.
--
Graeme

writes

I visited Carnforth many times when it was still "Steamtown" and visitors were encouraged. I also paid the odd visit when I worked nearby but that's another story. :-)
The tower's base colour was a pale grey with just the tiniest hint of of pale sand say "tope" for the Mrs Buckets of the world :). Lots of discolouration where engines passed underneeth - sooty black - higher level and dirty brown around the base - water, mildew, moss, slime and general grunge stains. I would imagine that when it was being used on a daily basis you'd have more heavy staining higher up and a little less around the base.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
"Chris Wilson" wrote I visited Carnforth many times when it was still "Steamtown" and visitors were encouraged. I also paid the odd visit when I worked nearby but that's another story. :-) All the best,
Chris Wilson
I have not been to the area since it was "Steamtown"... IS the Cenotaph still in situe, or has it been raised due to concrete rot yet ? I last heard it was unsafe ???
--
Andy Sollis
CVMRD Exhibition Manager & CVR Guide book Author

Gosh, I have no idea, I assumed that it was still there, I now live in Kent and work in London. back when I was visiting steamtown it was either from Arnside where I worked when I left the collage of knowlage or even earlier when I lived in Lancs.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
Pete Rigby wrote;

Generally portland cement plus yellow sand/aggregate gives a yellow/beige but other cements give a much greyer tone. Sand/aggegate from midlands beds gives tones from dark brown through grey to pink! Here's a colour chart that's a starting point; <http://www.steps-plus.com/color.htm Above all try and find some local 'real stuff' of the right sort of age and type, probably a fine granite based aggregate (high strength, very grey when new), and try and match the weathering, which will be patchy with pale brown staining from acid rain, and darker brown from rust leaching(sp?) from internal reinforcement.
--
Denis

I am interested in doing the same, which volume of "LMS Engine Sheds" are the drawings in?
MBQ
LMS Engine Sheds Volume 1. I altered the bottom of the hoppers so I could add four jiggers as on the one at Carnforth. I'll try and get some pics up.

The basic structure.
http://www.freed.myby.co.uk/images/tower1.jpg
http://www.freed.myby.co.uk/images/tower2.jpg