King Arthurs delayed

Sounds like the Hornby 'King Arthur' & 'Pendolino' models are now delayed
until March 2007 if a report in one of the model railway magazines is to be
believed.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Is it me, or does it sound like Hornby are having problems getting their models right for us the buying public? I've no problem with the delay, I'd rather have a correct model than an incorrect one, but I get the impression that their decision makers and designers just aren't keeping in touch with modellers' opinions...
Ian J.
Reply to
Ian J.
It takes a company a long time to change its culture. Hornby was a toy train company, dedicated to producing relatively cheap, attractive, and sturdy products that would stand up to rough usage. That meant compromises in detail, and re-use of mechs, etc. They were remarkably successful at doing this, so much so that "Hornby" connotes quality toy trains in the mind of the general public in the UK (just as Maerklin does in Germany.) And the compromises were small enough (usually) that their models could be used on scale layouts with a little adaptation.
But the market has changed. Now a much larger proportion of (mostly) adult modellers are able and, more importantly, willing to spend loadsadough for accurately made, smooth-running models built to international standards. Hornby hasn't quite understood that, and apparently is still trying to cater to both the toy train and the modeller's markets with a single line of products, as they did in the past. They can cover both markets, of course, but IMO that entails producing two lines of product. (I suggest "Hornby Classics" for the traditional models, and "Hornby True Scale" or some such for the line aimed at "serious" modellers.) However, both lines should run on the same track, and Hornby must (along with other UK and some European manufacturers) adopt international wheel and track standards.
HTH
Reply to
Wolf
"Wolf" wrote
They can cover both markets, of course, but IMO that entails producing two lines of product. (I suggest "Hornby Classics" for the traditional models, and "Hornby True Scale" or some such for the line aimed at "serious" modellers.) However, both lines should run on the same track, and Hornby must (along with other UK and some European manufacturers) adopt international wheel and track standards.
HTH
Ah, That will be the new "Railroad" range they are using for their basic level locos.
Not sure what the other range will be called/referred to ?
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
"simon" wrote
Considering some of the comments that might be "Railroad rage" !
Simon
Hey ! It's gone again, only this time e-mail has stopped ! Had to dig out the old speedtouch ASDL modem so I can connect !
Me thinks I have to dig for a bank statement and bang on PC Worlds desk !!!
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
Dont think it was the routers fault last time, hope you havent the same problem as I got a few weeks ago. Was about this time on a sat that I couldnt connect, contacted BT (my ISP) who got me to do some tests and then booked line out as faulty. Contacted them next evening, fault had been cleared but no one told me and it still didnt work. Continued like this till tuesday when I tried my old speedtouch modem (it had been replaced by BT when line upgraded to 2mB). Old one worked, contacted BT thats interesting they said must be faulty ADSL modem. Its one of yours I said, can you send me a new one. Sorry they said its out of warranty by just a few days. But its yours I said, no it isnt they said - after one year its yours. Pure co-incidence the timing. Did notice that ADSL modem config noted that line capacity 6mB but only 2mB enabled. Would take an engineer to replace bits at the exchange for it to go from 2mB to 6mB capacity - the recently introduced upgrade. Pure co-incidence the timing. Pure coincidence the ......
Do you see anything that says similar about line capacity ? How old is your router ?
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"simon" wrote
[...]
6 Months - Just found statement. I saved the box. It's going back with some banging on the desk ! I note now that this model is no longer stocked and they have a newer version !
See what we get !
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
And yet managed to waste what limited design resources they had churning out new versions of models which nobody needed!
(kim)
Reply to
kim
As a luxury item, none are needed. If you mean none are wanted could you say which ones - unless they are modern D&E stuff (of which I know nothing).
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"simon" wrote
I'm running a couple of Netgear DG834 wireless routers (one at home the other at work) with the older one now 2 or 3 years old, and still performing faultlessley.
I'd have told BT to cancel my internet contract and said I was going to move it to one of the other ISPs that were offering free routers or modems - and there's plenty of them around.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"simon" wrote
That's two or three years ago now, and surely any company worth its salt would have replaced that loss within a month or so.
Is it not morelikely that they're biting off more than they can chew?
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"kim" wrote
I'll agree with that comment when they actually start duplicating what's already in the market place, and that is certainly on the cards with the planned release in 2007 of ex-Lima models like the classes 47 & 66.
So far however we've sold far more of the re-issued (ex-Lima) class 101dmus than we have all of their 2006 new issue Southern steam locos combined. And that despite Hornby managing to specify three different buffer types across the three cars of the unit.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Try
for definitive speed setting for your line. Note only works if BT Wholesale are providing the link i.e. not for Carphone Warehouse and Sky or other ISPs that have unbundled lines. You are shown three readings the first is the connection speed, the second is your BRAS profile indicating the maximum throughput your line is set to and the last the actual throughput the connection received during the test. The BRAS rate varies as it is taking your average connection speed over time. If your ISP charges on BRAS profile i.e 512K 1M etc then BRAS profile should reflect this.
If your with BT you could get a free Home Hub if you regrade to BT Total Broadband and you also get ADSL max the adaptive product that goes up to 8Mb.
Chris
Reply to
Chris
Please don't bang on the desk. It isn't polite, and will often just infuriate the staff so that they dont help you.
Politely explaining the situation, and asking for a suitable remedy will make the staff more than happy to serve and help you.
Reply to
John Ruddy
Is it not more than 18 months to get a product to market and I assume you dont get someone up to top class in a short time. Think we can give a little leeway - just this once.
Simon
Reply to
simon
I need the link for work and as theyve been pretty reliable for a number of years I'm going to let them off for the moment.
Plus they have a good usenet service and the latest 8mB upgrade looks pretty good as well. Oh and work pays.
Simon
Reply to
simon

Site Timeline