King Arthurs delayed

Dont think this applies, recon it was the reported capability of the hardware was 6mB but it was configured for 2mB. So point was that it may not be a faulty router but line configuration change - unfortunately not sure how to confirm that. Possibly speedtouch ADSL showed it - have since replaced it.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well John, he is talking about PC World.... normal rules of engagement do not apply.

Being polite just means you never get served in the first place, and that is when you are gently waving around a grand of smackers in cash, and just wanting someone to go and fetch the box you have already chosen... not asking them to give advice on the best PC for one's needs or anything tedious, just fetch the box so you can pay and go home. And the first oik who you actually manage to collar disappears for 20 minutes and then comes back to confidently announce "got none left", whereas when you looked in that very lunchtime to make some initial enquiries you were told there were

12 of them in the back storeroom, so you send first oik to fetch lunchtime oik who tries again and voila, the 12 items have re-entered the spacetime continuum. And then you can proceed, at least you can after you run another 20 minutes gauntlet of them trying to sell you extended warranties and antivirus add-ons and all kinds of doodads that had already clearly stated you don't want...

If Andy is actually trying to take something back, I suspect they will make sure the doors malfunction or something so he cannot actually get in the place.

And from the acquaintances to whom I relay this little vignette, all proffer the same advice: never, ever, go shopping anywhere that the human element can intervene. Always, always buy on the internet. That is why God invented it.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"John Ruddy" wrote

John, Your quite correct, I was talking metaphorically. ! In my job, banging on the desk would not be my nature (Except when I get p155ed off when the computers don't work!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"simon" wrote

Surely you're not telling me that Hornby only had one designer? I'd have assumed that he would have at least had a couple of well-trained assistants for deputies.

I'm not even whether the design work is still handled in Margate - can anyone clarify that?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Actually that's one issue I hadn't thought about: when Hornby bought up half the toy train 'manufacturers' in Europe, did they also buy the design teams, or just the brand names? I can imagine the folks in Margate being a bit busy trying to provide engineering support across the whole of Hornby's current range of brands.

The only product where I know the manufacturing design was subbed out was that dead end (IMHO of course ) the live steam range, as detailed in the BRM 2006 annual.

Reply to
airsmoothed

As I work in Pc World, I can confidently tell you that being polite really does help. The people who work there are human beings, and banging fists and shouting really doesn't endear you to anyone. Would you like to help someone who asks you politely, or someone who just rants and never listens to anything you say?

As one of the "oiks" I can tell you that sometimes we do sell out of things. Sometimes things are moved from one part of the shop to another. Sometimes the stock system reports are inaccurate (they are only computers, after all). As for selling things you dont want, all you have to do is say you dont want them. If the salesman (or woman) doesnt ask, they wont know whether you want or need them, will they? If a customer really wants to go online without anti-virus software, thats up to them, but they cant then expect to bang their fists on the counter and demand their PC is fixed when it gets infected, can they?

We only want the doors to malfunction to prevent customers coming in when the customers who want to come in are those who want to bang their fists on the counter, rant and rave about their "rights" (which are actually a lot more limited than they think).

Polite, friendly customers who are pleasant to serve are always welcome, regardless of whether they are coming in to buy, or have a problem with a product.

Reply to
John Ruddy

wrote

I have to say I assumed that design was being sub-contracted to China along with everything else.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As I said try the test site

it will confirm what the throughput of the connection is set to as well as the speed of the connection. As the site says don't do any other internet activity whilst using it. You can use the results of the test to argue with your ISP about what your line is configured for as they have access to the test results as well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Is the Arthur going to be a new model?

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

"Christopher A.Lee" wrote

I think so.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But am suggestiong the line may be configured for 2mB but equipment capable of 8mB. My contract was for a 2mB line, so throughput of 2mB is correct. So the site cannot help in this case.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Thanks.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

"John Ruddy" wrote

As I work in Pc World, I can confidently tell you that being polite really does help. The people who work there are human beings, and banging fists and shouting really doesn't endear you to anyone. Would you like to help someone who asks you politely, or someone who just rants and never listens to anything you say?

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

User error is often the cause of issues in computing - the trick is to rectify the problem without making the customer feel stupid. Sometimes its not always possible....

My advice is always to reboot your PC. No matter what the problem is, it seems that windows always sorts itself out when starting up, and it can sometimes find the peripheral it had suddenly said you hadn't got plugged in etc.

Its good to see you back on the internet :)

Reply to
John Ruddy

Just to make things clear DSL max was launched April last year and moved the maximum download from 2Mb to 8Mb but this does require a configuration change at the exchange to enable this. So to get a faster service you need to be moved to DSL max service. Sorry for the confusion I thought you were wanting to find out what speed your line was set up for.

Chris

Chris

Reply to
Chris

wrote

I don't think that was subbed out as such, but bought in. I understand that the concept was offered to one of Hornby's competitors first but was turned down. I'm with you in thinking (from the outset) that it was a commercial bind alley, but they got some cheap publicity from clever marketing of an idea which had been around for a long time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

detailed

understand that

commercial

Yes John you are correct, the concept has been around for years, the Hornby implementation was bought in and developed. IIRC the concept was implemented on a NG (loft!) layout that was described in RM in the mid 1980's.

Reply to
Jerry

Yes, I see what you mean, the original prototype design wasn't Hornby's, they 'just' subbed out the doubtless somewhat challenging task of turning a one off (Ok maybe 2 or 3 ) into a product that could be manufactured in volume at a profit. Agreed the live steam probably generated enough free publicity to more than pay the development costs.

Reply to
airsmoothed

"Jerry" wrote

The Hornby Live Steam system was devised by Richard Hallam and a 4 page article on his implementation of it in a Hornby Dublo, diecast Duchess was described in a 4 page article in British Railway Modelling, April 2000, Vol

8 No 1.

The mechanism shows a remarkable similarity with that of the Hornby system, albeit less refined.

A butane powered live steam system has also been demonstrated which used electric power from the track for control purposes and was available in 00 gauge and, remarkably, 009 gauge. Unfortunately I cannot recall the inventors name. It also used Hornby-Dublo diecast loco bodies for the 00 range.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

"David Westerman" wrote

also been demonstrated which used

Vaguely recall seeing a report in Railway Modeller (?) many (20+) years go about an Antipodean who had developed live steam capability in 2mm scale.

John.

Reply to
John Turner