Sea King questions

Hi all, I have the Airfix yellow Sea King and I would like to make it look nice, but I have a few questions

Are there any detail parts (resin or etched) for this specific model that are still available and where can I get them?

What color should I paint the interior and rotor blades (preferably Model Master numbers)?

Airfix decals are junk, I found that Modeldecal and Aviation Workshop have decals for the yellow RAF rescue choppers, any thoughts on which I should get? I have the old boxing, are the decals in the new boxing better?

Thanks in advance for your help, Frank

Reply to
Kojak

There are a number of sets available.

?FULL=AEC72220
?cn=72295 Although the last two are stated to be for the Revell kit, I am sure that they will fit the Airfix one.

The Modeldecal sheet 57 states the interior should be Dark Admiralty Grey BS381C:632. I have found RLM 75 Grau to be a good match to this. The main consoles in the cabin area are matt black. The undercarriage legs and bays and the wheel hubs are gloss white.

The main rotor blades are gloss Medium Sea Grey on the upper surfaces and gloss black on the lower surfaces, with yellow tips. The tail rotor blades are gloss black with red cuffs. The tips have three six inch wide bands in alternate red/white/red.

Be advised that Modeldecal sheet 57 was first published in 1980. It is of very high quality, but all of Modeldecal's sheets have been out of print for over ten years. Any sheet that you get will have been in storage somewhere for at least that time. I have noticed some minor decal release problems with these old sheets, but if you soak them for a little longer that you would with modern decals and use a setting solution, you should be OK.

I haven't actually seen the Aviation Workshop sheet, but looking at a picture of it

can see that there is not as much stencil detail as the Modeldecal sheet.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Thank you very much, Enzo, this is a huge help. I had not thought of looking at Hannants as I am in the States, but I assume they ship here

Frank

Reply to
Kojak