FAA Aircraft of 60 - 70's

I am just reading a book about all the stupid crashes that happened in the Fleet Air Arm during this period. Having been looking for some focus in my modelling, I thought that I might concentrate on these. More so because at one time I had high hopes of signing up to Fly NAVY but was warned off by a friend who did end up flying Gannets - the losses during the 60's were quite high due to unreiable and underpowered aircraft. He ended up ditching is Gannet!

So I know there is a Classic Airframes Sea Hawk just come out ( I noticed this because the Frog Sea Hawk was the first model I ever made back in the 50's). However, on doing a search on Hannants I can find almost nothing else. No Sea Vixen, no Buccaneer, no Scimtar, no Gannets. Is this right? Or am I doing something wrong - grin. I looked first for 1/48, my chosen scale, but then tried 1/72.

I found a Seafire but couldn't even find a Sea Fury. Pointers would be nice if anyone has any.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Pennington

David

My scale is 1/72. In that there are:

Sea Vixen - Frog or various re-issues, High Planes Scimitar - resin one from Czechmaster and various old rougher ones Gannet - Frog and various re-issues Buccaneer S2 - Frog, Airfix Sea Venom - Frog and reissues Sea Hawk - Airfix, Frog and a Czech one Phantom - Fujimi

I could go on - there are kits of Skyraider (needs conversion), Avenger, Attacker, Sea Fury and Seafire.

In 1/48:

Sea Fury - hobbycraft Seafire - Airfix Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Gannet - Dynavector vacforms and out of prod Sea Venom - Aeroclub? vacform Buccaneer S2 - Airfix Phantom - hasegawa

Hope that encourages you.

David Womby

Reply to
Davidawomby

Dynavector make the Sea Vixen, Gannet, Wyvern and Scimitar in 1/48 scale - they are vac forms, but generally reckoned to be top quality and the best available. Hobbycraft also put out a 1/48 Sea Fury in the 80's - reckoned to be a bit basic, but capable. Airfix also have a Buccaneer S2 in 1/48 in their range, though I got mine over 10 years ago. Hasegawa issued a 1/48 F-4K Phantom FG.1 for completeness too. It might be better to check second hand kit dealers, as apart from a Revell Phantom FG.1 in RAF markings, most seem to be currently out of production.

Chek

Reply to
Chek

Pointers would be

In 1/48 scale you are extremely limited for choice but the limited run companies like Classic Airframes have gone a long way to help out, i also have an interest in this period and you have to be prepared to take on vacforms for a full collection but Dynavector are just about the best manufacturer of this type of kit.

Heres a sample of what's available :

Supermarine Seafire XV - Hobbycraft (Not a great kit I'm led to believe) Supermarine Seafire FR.46/47 - Airfix (super kit) Hawker Sea Fury - Hobbycraft (with either the Flightpath or Cutting Edge detail sets) Fairey Firefly FR4/5 - Flightpath (mixed media kit) Blackburn Firebrand - Dynavector (vacform)(no release date announced as yet) De Havilland Sea Hornet - Dynavector (vacform) or Classic Airframes (limited run inj. mould) Grumman Avenger - Accurate Miniatures (with Model Design Construction conv parts) Supermarine Attacker - Falcon Industries (vacform) Hawker Sea Hawk - Falcon Industries (vacform) or Classic Airframes (limited run inj. mould) Westland Wyvern - Dynavector (vacform) or soon to be released Classic Airframes (limited run inj. mould) Douglas Skyraider AEW - ESCI/AMT Ertl/ Italeri De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.21 - Aeroclub (mixed media kit) Fairey Gannet AS.1/4 - Dynavector (vacform) Fairey Gannet AEW.3 - Dynavector (vacform) (no release date announced as yet) Supermarine Scimitar - Dynavector (vacform) De Havilland Sea Vixen FAW.2 - Dynavector (vacform) Westland Wessex HAS.3 - Revell (really a late H-34 & needs a lot of work for a true RN version) Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 - Airfix (not as bad as some would have you believe) McDonnell Phantom FG.1 - Hasegawa (probably the best Phantom kit of any type OOB) Westland Sea King - Hasegawa/Revell (with Airwaves conversion sets)

As I said earlier you need to be prepared to do vacforms but at least they are some of the best of that type of kit available. I have all the Dynavector kits and they are superb.

If you can't "Fly Navy" the next best thing is to "Build Navy"

Happy modelling Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips

Thanks to those that posted. I have just come back from years away so I am struggling just to get quality at the moment (and dare I say it, something finished :-) I am not sure that I am ready for fully resin or vac form. I had enough fun with the Classic Airframes Meteor that turned into a nightmare:-(

I will obviously have to do more than just check Hannants then and see how I get on. Thanks to all that replied.

David

Reply to
David Pennington

I have done a search on EBay and found the following all in 1/72

Original Frog Sea Hawk Airfix Sea Fury Frog Sea Vixen Frog Fairey Gannet Frog Buccaneer Novo (Frog) Sea Venom Airfix Whirlwind Airfix Wessex

Although quality may not be up to today, they should be fun and give me most of what I want. Mind you the most expensive part might be replacing the decals as the sllers are reporting that although the kit and the box might have made it the decals are often suspect :-(

Thanks for all the pointers.

David

Reply to
David Pennington

Didn't Airmodel do a vacuform canopy for the Sea Fury in a conversion package?

The Old Timer

Yeah, IIRC. They also had the early canopy for the Typhoon. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

The PM Sea Furies have a small error with an aerolon - don't line up on one wing

Also they are both preserved - seen both about 14 years ago - got them on video - I'll have to find the MPEG2 file again

Reply to
Martin

Add Lates 70's

1/48 Sea Harrier Airfix
Reply to
Martin

And 1/48 resin Firebrands and Attacker from Magna models.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Macrae

I hadn't replied to this thread as the original poster prefered 1/48 scale.

Most of the replies have been re 1/72 scale, so I'll jump in. Name the FAA aircraft that you want info on and I'll do the list here from ESM 72 database.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Sorry (original poster) but I do work in 1/48. However I would like to do this givcen that I chickened out from joining up when I was a lad.

1/72 would be good if I can do this. I am interested in FAA 1960/70 so its sea venom, sea hawk, gannet, scimitar, vixen, etc. Input would be appreciated.

I am finiding that I can get the kits but they are all 20 years old including the decals (which are often excluded form the deal in that the seller can guarantee the plastic but not the 'transfers' (sorry i am English- grin) but then I can't get modern decals.

David

Reply to
David Pennington

Hi David,

Modeldecal (now sold by Hannants) released a lot of FAA subjects over the years, they are worth looking for on Ebay, but as most sheets include a variety of subjects i.e RAF, FAA, USAFE, French AF etc. you sometimes need to look beyond the headline subject.

Another company to look for is Model Art decals these were made in the UK by a French gentleman and again include many FAA and French subjects, they released sheets for the Gannet AEW & AS, Scimitar, Sea Venom, Sea Vixen & Wyvern, well worth seeking out.

Happy modelling, & Fly Navy

Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips

David

I'll do these one at a time, if you don't mind. I'm rebuilding the house and the garage door guy is here today.

DH Sea Venom: Bristol Models Cast Resin Lambda Models Cast Resin Premiere FAW.21 Frog FAW.21/.53 Eurokit Sea Venom/Sud-Est Aquilon Cast Resin

The Frog kit is probably the easiest to find, the Bristol Models kit probably the most accurate.

When you are looking for a specific kit ask here on RMS first, then try e-bay. Adds in KCC and IPMS publications can also net good results.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Hawker Sea Hawk: Cruver ID Model Veron Truscale Wood F.1 Frog FGA Mk.6/Mk.100 Airfix Mk.100 MPM

Airfix is the easiest to find. MPM is the most accurate and, being relatively new, should be easy to find.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Fairey Gannet: Hawk ID Model Veron Truscale Wood Fred Harris Cast Resin AEW.3 Fred Harris AS.1/.4/COD Mk.4/T Mk.2 Czech Master Cast Resin AS.1/.4 Frog

Easiest to find would be Frog. Czech Master the most accurate. Have not seen the Fred Harris resin kit from Australia.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Contrail Vacuform Contrail Vacuform remolded Skybirds '86 Scimitar F.1 Czech Master Cast Resin Scimitar F.1 Magna Models Cast Resin Scimitar F.1 Merlin Scimitar Prototype Frog

Has to be one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built. The ancient Frog kit of the prototype was simple, but great. Czech Master is probably the best. Have not seen the Magna Models Scimitar.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

de Haviland Sea Vixen:

Bristol Models Cast Resin Contrail Vacuform Cruver Injecton Molded ID Model Project X Vacuform Staffall,Inc. Injection Molded ID Model Unique Scale Injection Molded ID Model Veron Truscale Wood Sea Vixen FAW.1 Magna Models Cast Resin Sea Vixen FAW.1/.2/D.3 High Planes Sea Vixen FAW.2 Frog Sea Vixen FAW.2 Magna Models Cast Resin Sea Vixen FAW.9 Magna Models Cast Resin

Easest to find and most accurate would be High Planes. Frog kit is pretty common. Have not seen the Magna Models kits.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

how did you get 10' clearance? bulldozer, explosives?