Dapol 66

A link was posted to Mod Mod today to the N Gauge society's website which has a page showing pics of the pre production Dapol Class 66.

*cough* I'm sayin' nowt...

Pete.

Reply to
mutley

"mutley" wrote

Well said, but first impressions suggest I'll not be switching to 2mm scale.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

*cough* The link was on MREexMag two nights ago, I was surprised no one mentioned it. The bogies on the N-gauge model would appear to have more 'chunky' detail than Bachmann's 00 model. For me it is a major feature of the original.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Ahem... 2mm scale my foot ! The Dapol product is for British N gauge, something around 1:148 scale, depending where you measure it. A scale where the market seems not to have caught up with the manufacturing standards elsewhere in the world.

Proper 2mm scale wouldn't bother with something that crude.

However, lets give Dapol the benefit of the doubt and see if the production version looks decent. If not, I have heard elsewhere that Kato are doing a class 66 for one of the European names in 1:160 N.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote

Bit pedantic aren't we?

Peco cite N-scale as 2 1/16mm : 1 foot - call me a liar for a sixteenth of a millimeter if you must! ;-)

That's basically what I meant.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Be fair, these were huge close-ups of a pre-production model. Anything would look crude enlarged to that degree.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

On 02/06/2005 00:06, mutley wrote,

Nah - you've all missed it. This are photos from aldo1080's last eBay auction before his downfall!

For the sake of N-gaugers, let's hope the production models are a little less, how shall we put it, crude! I don't think the scale 3 inch thick layer of primer is helping this pre-production model at all. When you look at the "1st prototype" photos of the 45XX, you will see that this looks much better quality for this stage of development.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Not pre-production, but how about:

A significantly larger enlargement than the Dapol, and the original shot stands enlarging to bigger than A4.

I know the Dapol pictures are pre-production. However, my concerns are not the lack of detail, but things like the body not appearing to be straight along the solebar. I would have expected better in a pre-production example made available to photograph publically.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Give Dapol a break, the picture is of a rough resin pre-production model. The finished article will be fully detailled, with working lights, day/night operation and comparable, if not better than the 73.

Have a look at the new 45xx and Collett coaches!

I seem to recall the Bachmann OO 66 getting slated by certain web critics before the finished article appeared...

Reply to
Adam

I think the crudeness is just down to Dapol's production method. They seem to get a roughly accurate model made, then scan it into a computer and straighten out all the lines on the computer.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

You're comparing a scratchbuilt, handmade, one-off model with a mass production prototype. I'm sure if Dapol charged £400-£600 a time they could produce similar quality.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Adam" wrote

If they're daft enough to release pictures of a pre-production model which look so naff then I'm afraid they just leave themselves open to criticism.

Absolutely, but I don't recall you or anyone else asking for Bachmann to be given a break, do you?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Can't see what all the fuss is about, it's a diesel, there's some wheels hidden away underneath, it's shaped like a shoe box, there's somewhere for the computer operator (driver) to sit, nothing remotely interesting ... what more could anyone ask for? Sure it looks like a heap of s**t, but what diesel doesn't? ;-)

Actually the casting's terrible, the detailing is appalling and even when pictured in the mind's eye fully painted it looks "wrong" in almost every respect. I could do better.

Anyway now that I've found a source for L&Y kits my new layout is definitely going to be set around the grouping period so grotty diesels ... Murhahahaha! ... someone else's problem :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

My first impression was that it had been been accidentally set on fire, and then someone attempted to put out the fire by pouring flammable liquid on it. After which they tried to hide what they'd done by flushing it down the loo.

All of which sounds like an average nights modelling around my house. ;)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Should there not also be grills on the side and roof?

Think the neatest part is the overscale buck-eye coupling... Although I notice it is already fitted with the lights!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

*ahem* I could mention a few magazines at this point... :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Fred X" wrote

Really, I thought those that had were asking people to stop criticising manufacturers for producing crap models. I don't recall any saying that they 66 should not be criticised before it was released - of course you can prove me wrong by stating which.

I still maintain that if a manufacturer (in this case Dapol) produces a crap looking pre-production model, then they deserve all the flack they get.

I personally didn't think the Bachmann 66 was too bad at pre-production stage apart from some odd-looking cab front windows, but the Dapol thing looks abysmal.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Given the tone on certain 4mm-oriented Diesel and Electric Yahoogroups at the time, would you?? :-)

Seriously though, John, we know that Dapol have produced some absolute horrors in 4mm but they seem to really be trying hard in N and are deserving of encouragement. The 45xx / Collett coaches are stunning.

Having the guts to show a lo-res pre-production rough like the 66 is refreshingly open IMHO and a pleasant change from the total lack of progress reports on GF's new releases.

Reply to
Adam

I suspect the latter is being reserved for the next edition of the club magazine. Maybe there'll be some pre-production shots of GF's 66?

(kim)

Reply to
kim