Export Duty - HUH!!!???

Was just told by a private seller on eBay that he will have to pay export duty of 9GBP to send a loco to me - not only have I never heard of this, all previous transactions I have had with the UK (300+) have never mentioned or charged this. In addition, I regularly receive VAT deduction when buying form retailers.

Anyone know what the guy is on about?

]Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Very unlikely that the seller will pay export duty... duties are paid by the buyer, not the seller, unless the seller is also indemnifying the buyer from import duty.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Sounds like a con to me... There is, as far as I understand, no such thing as export duty. There is import duty, but that would always be paid by the buyer...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"mindesign" wrote

Assuming this was not mentioned in the item description I'd just be inclined to enter a dispute proceedure with eBay (this stops him being able to leave negative feedback) .

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I agree with the other posts here...

As far as I know, here in the UK there is NO Export Duty charged on goods leaving the country. Maybe there are restrictions on certain items that attract extra tax internationally, such as Tobacco, Spirits, Precious Metals and Gems, Weapons etc.!

The UK Customs & Excise website may throw some light on the subject. Not sure of the URL.

David.

Reply to
David French

mindesign said the following on 13/05/2006 02:46:

Just to add my two penn'orth - there is definitely no export duty when shipping from the UK. He is trying it on. If you are already the winning bidder, then file a dispute, otherwise don't bid!

If the seller does charge VAT, then you are entitled to have it deducted as you are not in the European Union. Any duties to and from the European Union are paid by the importer, not the exporter.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I am just going to repeat what the other guys here have said.

a) There is no export duty on any item from the UK.

b) Import duties (if applied by the recieving country) are paid by the buyer, not the seller. This is true whether it is purchased on ebay, or from the normal retail channels.

c) You are entitled to have the VAT deducted, if the seller is registered for VAT, because you live outside the EU.

d) If you have won the item, and the buyer is now adding costs or restrictions which were not in the original item description, then file a dispute with ebay.

Hope this helps, John

Reply to
John Ruddy

I'd go with this too, it's if it didn't make his target and he's trying to inflate it by add-ons, "reasonable" adjustments for postage is one thing, this smacks of something else.....

Item number so we know who to avoid?

Niel.

Reply to
badger.badger

Reply to
titans

The convention that the seller sticks the item in an envelope and bungs it off to a foreign country is a *concession* allowed by international customs agreements. This seller might be going the full monty and registering the export with HMRC. There is a fee for this.

This is usually done for high value items, scheduled items like weapons, or wherever there is an expectation that the item might be re-imported to the UK. Without a certified EX1, the seller will find himself being charged import duty on the re-import, although this can be appealed against. It's all about the particular circumstances and the mood of the underwriter at the shipping company.

I have no idea whether any of this applies, of course, but international shipping is a minefield (sometimes literally so), and I find it bemusing when the mob starts bunging around allegations of criminality without possession of the *whole* story.

Cheers, Steve W

Reply to
Steve W

Unless the seller is a business it's most likely a postal export in which case all you need do is affix a CN22 or CN23 customs declaration and put the correct postage on it.

Items can be re-imported by post without incurring duty through the simplified IPR procedure. The sender must mark the package and accompanying customs declaration "IPR suspension". Customs will send you a form C88(SAD) to fill in giving full details of the nature of the re-importation. See Customs notice 221 Inward Processing Relief (on the HMRC website), specifically section 10.11. It works, I've done it.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq