WARNING Ebay & PayPal

This is a new policy: Ebay and PayPal has started up to a 21 day hold on payments made to you by PayPal. They will hold your payment until you receive a positive feedback from the buyer. Or if you get no negative feedback in the 21 day hold period. This is if you have a feedback of less than 100. I have a 100% positive feedback rating. Never any problems other than slow payments from buyers. I had a pair of NOS 6386 RCA tubes for the Fairchild and other compressors listed. The customer (in Sweden) paid that day with Paypal and then I receive this message from PayPal:

(copied from email)

You've received a payment, detailed below. We've placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction. PayPal and eBay are working together to make payments for eBay items even safer. Because we want both buyers and sellers to feel confident about sending and receiving payments through PayPal, we may temporarily hold payments for items sold on eBay.

Make sure to ship the item right away, so you'll have access to the funds sooner. We'll release the hold in 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. We may release the hold earlier if either of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay. We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

And they want me to go ahead a ship the item out of the country.

Don't rely on PayPal to get your payments. Not only are the charges going up with them and Ebay, but they get to use your money to use for up to 21 days!

Reply to
<r.laury

Very disgusting. My feedback is 1,000+, but I am outraged as well. The extra few pennies that ebay will make by depositing your held payment for 21 days, surely helps their bottom line.

Ignoramus14891

Looks an oppertunity for a paypal alternative.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

And a good Ebay alternative to go along with it wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Are there any viable PayPal alternatives? I would switch in a heartbeat. Don't even get me started about my recent paypal "experience".

Reply to
BillM

Unfortunately another one of the (relatively) new rules is that sellers under a certain number of feedbacks *have* to offer Paypal as an alternative. I have accumulated a 100% positive feedback prior to this not using Paypal at least half the time. Money orders worked just fine. Apparently I cannot do this any more.

It has reached the ridiculous stage where at least one seller offered Paypal but in his item description stated that he will not accept it, that he put it in the payment information because Ebay made him do it.

I think it is always useful to hear about other people's experiences with EBay and Paypal. The rules are changing fast and bad experiences seem to be multiplying and it is good for the occasional uses to be aware.

Sadly, it seems that EBay is no longer a place for occasional users...

Reply to
Michael Koblic

I can see why you are annoyed, but don't over react.

I have sold a lot of stuff internationally (you can find me on ebay easily enough) and I've had one non-paying international buyer - some were unhappy that items took a long time to arrive, but in general my experience with international buyers, particularly the scandnavian countries is good. there is a reasonable chance you will get prompt positive feedback.

that said, did you get a good price for your item - in fact did you get a price that is good enough that you can wait 20 days to receive payment? If yes, then consider this a cost of doing business. If no, then it's a learning experience, don't list that kind of stuff.

Ebay is not perfect, but it is the only venue right now where you can connect buyers and sellers of obscure stuff together with a world wide audience. this is good for the seller because of better prices ,and for the buyer because the item is available (and usually at a better price than a local specialty place). On the other hand, it is not a good venue for a comodity item if you live in teh big city - a memory stick or a cell phone will cost you as much or more than local merchant, and books often sell for more than a local book store.

If you want to get your feedbck up, just buy cheap stuff. otherwise, just be patient. Factor in the annoying factors when you decide what to do - you can sell locally and make less $ (often), you can sell through magazines, web pages and all sorts of venues.

And there are things I dislike about paypal also, but we all have a choice.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Sure is, US Postal Money Order.

Wes

Wes

A lot of buyers dont leave feed back ,so this means you have to wait the whole time of 21 days to recieve the payment?

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

At the moment you have a choice ,but here in Australia Ebay tried to make all transactions paid through Paypal ,excepting pick up . Previous to this we had a choice of ,cash by mail, postal money orders mailing a cheque or direct bank transfer(which I use a lot because I can do it from the remote area where I live ).I can attach the bank reciept to an e-mail and then send it to the seller ,giving proof of the transfer ,the seller can mail out the goods the next day. I only ever used Paypal for international transactions and so far I have never had a problem .(mostly US and UK )

Ebay has been taken to the Fair Trade and Competition Commision and they have to prove that they are not stifling competition. Pretty difficult when they own Paypal. The case is still being heard ,and I don't know when or if it will be resolved.So the Paypal rule is now on hold .

A new online Auction site has developed here "Oztion", a few Aussie Ebay sellers have moved over ,new ones joining every day ,not international yet but as it grows I expect it may go that way.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

I seldom leave any feedback because on dialup it often takes 5 minutes to paint a screen, and I have to go thru MANY screens to leave feedback. ebay is much slower than other web sites, any time of the day or night.

nick hull

I forsee a class action lawsuit for 21 days intrest on held money. Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

This is more than a few pennies.

My partner's wife (luckily, she has a real job or we would all be starving) is a private banker with a major bank.

Part of her job involves finding very short term investments for people who have an extra million that they won't need for a couple of days.

21 days of float on the kind of volume paypal does, easily adds up to millions.

Granted, it is not all transactions, only the ones they deem as "risky". But they also seem to be shepherding you to using their shipping label service.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Do you think John Edwards will file it to redeem himself?

Wes

Wes

I refused to play the game with paypal. Now that Meg has retired, the new in charges have flexed their grip on more and more money.

Greed and power. Oh - and likely a bonus of a 'manager' that suggested it that has a carrier of a percentage of the gain...

Martin

Mart> "azotic" wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn

This was announced in January 2008, but it only applies if you meet ALL of a bunch of criteria :

You have to have little prior history, or less than 95% satisfaction in the last month, you have to be selling something that matches theie (nonpublic) list of stuff that they have problem sellers of, and so on.

I couldn't tell which seller you are, but there is a seller who just sold several pairs of these tubes who has only 12 feedbacks, with only 2 this year (Aug 7). So, that does have some indication of "unusual activity" that could mark a compromised account. You could try emailing them and see if they will lift the hold.

I sell internationally, mostly NOT eBay auction items, but use PayPal as my "merchant account", for CNC hardware. I have NEVER had them hold my payment, but then I have well over 100 positive feedback, and no negatives or neutrals in the last year.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Heck, that sounds about the way I've run my ebay account for the last eight years. I think I'm finally up to 30 feedbacks now.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken