Gradient for coaling stage

Can anyone help?

What would be the typical and maximum gradients to get coal wagons up to a coaling stage?

Would the site be designed so the loco track had a down grade to reduce the neccessary length of the site?

How many wagons would normally be propelled up to the coaling stage in one go?

Any on-line pictures of such sites in late steam days?

Andrew

Reply to
google

Pretty steep, around 1:20 looks reasonable to me.

Sometimes, but not often, here's an example

Shows you have to look quite a long way for such.

As many as fit on the elevated track beyond the shed, or less if its really steep. Keith

Reply to
Keith

I have just finished this very job. I had bought a scale model ( OO ) based on Didcot but it was far too big. I reduced the ramp to just about 3 ft ( 0.85M ) and the Coal house to 300 mm with a stock park of

400mm which looks right with 3 wagons. The width of the whole I set at 80mm and made the walls as stone block. On the roof I planted a standard water tank as the scale tank was 6 times the area. It looks quite reasonable. if you are interested I will post a picture in Fotopics.The rise was set at 80mm too.
Reply to
Peter Abraham

Please!

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Look under Coaling Stage

Peter Abraham

Thanks for the answers and the pictures.

Andrew

Reply to
google