Model railway firm's gift fit for a prince

Esk Valley Today

20th February 2009

Carl Gavaghan

" A Whitby company yesterday presented Prince Charles with a scale model of the new =A33m steam engine the Tornado at its official launch in York.

The Model Centre, based at Hill Farm Holiday Cottages in Beck Hole, was commissioned to make a scale version of the loco for the future king. "

But no photo ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Mouldy swiz!

Reply to
MartinS

It'll be on eBay next week. You'll be able to see it then.

:-)

Reply to
Brian Watson

I understand he will be keeping it ... alongside the =91How to get to Cornwall=92 map he was sent recently !

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

Cornwall? map he was sent recently !

Of COURSE he will.

Excuse me, is my sarcasm showing?

Reply to
Brian Watson

I did wonder ......

What is a f****it ?

I am still unsure what the difference is between a 'sad' or 'happy' one but I did find out the following :-

The term "f****it" may now be used quite easily in non-technical circles and probably applies just as equally to many people we meet in everyday life. Rude people ( so not me then ) , devoid of manners ( again not me ) . Loud people ( I like the quiet life ), especially those who use their mobile telephone in totally inappropriate environments ( I have a mobile phone but only use it in emergencies ) and only know two voice volumes ('silent' and 'shouting'). Fuckwits park on pavements and in disabled parking spaces when they are not entitled to do so. ( Can't be me as I don't drive )

Fuckwits always believe they have 'right of way'. ( Again not me, I always give way to ladies or the elderly )

Fuckwits drop litter in the street. ( Never have nor ever will )

Fuckwits only generally care about themselves and this is evident in their overall attitude toward everything and everyone else. ( I have done voluntary work etc. )

Fuckwits always know absolutely everything in the history of everythingness. ( I only wish I did )

Fuckwits talk lots and listen little. ( I feel you learn more by listening than talking )

Fuckwits never allow evidence to prevent them continuing to be a f****it. ( I always try and research my 'evidence' first )

You'll know when you meet a f****it. ( I look in the mirror every day and I don't see one looking back at me )

BUT DO ANY OF THE ABOVE REMIND YOU OF SOMEONE ?

Thanks to http://www.f****it.info/whatis.htm for the information

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

: : BUT DO ANY OF THE ABOVE REMIND YOU OF SOMEONE ? :

Yes, *you*, when you drop your litter [1] in these groups...

[1] those URLs from your clipping service
Reply to
Jerry

On 26/02/2009 23:45, Jerry said,

This "litter" consists of links to UK-based recreational model railways. Um... what's the title of this newsgroup?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

You're in a minority of one again.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

: You're in a minority of one again.

Stop talking about yourself all the time.

Reply to
Jerry

Err, that URL goes to a local newspaper web site, with a story about a model shop presenting a member of the Royal family with a model at the naming of a new full size steam engine. So, err, no this group is not called uk.rec.newspapers.local, uk.business.self-publicity or uk.railway

Reply to
Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@a12g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

Better than playing with myself all the time.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

snipped-for-privacy@e18g2000yqo.googlegroups.com...

ps.com...

No need, you obviously have first hand (or should that be that right hand) experience.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l16g2000yqo.googlegroups.com...

I'd like to see things from your point of view 'Jerry' but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

Regards

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

: : I heard that you changed your mind. So, what did you do with the : nappy ?

Stop talking about yourself.

Reply to
Jerry

=A3180

Why were non of the 40 odd A1's built not preserved ?

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

Why were non of the 40 odd A1's built not preserved ?

Chris

Where they not good enough to be preserved, or changed into A3s or something like that ? misc

Reply to
misc

Too far from Barry.

Seriously.

Dai Woodham has a scrap metal company on Barry Island, South Wales. He had a contract to buy locomotives for the metal content and they arrived faster than they could be broken up. He had them on temporary track at the back of a field.

Then he got steel freight wagons to break - which went on more temporary track in front of the engines and were simpler to break.

By the time these were cleared people were buying the locomotives for restoration. And instead of wanting the "hey, it's a steam engine" price he sold them whole for the metal value.

The locomotives that arrived at Barry tended to be ex- Western Region (GWR) and London Midland Region (LMS) because they operated around there. With some Southern Region because it was close. Eastern Region and Scottish Region engines were scrapped in yards local to their own areas.

There was one A2 preserved. A similar Peppercorn Pacific with smaller drivers.

There was an earlier A1 class, designed by Gresley and built starting in the 1920s. These were rebuilt as A3s.

Gresley's successor Thompson hated him and rebuilt the prototype A1, "Great Northern" as the prototype of his range of high end pacifics, and reclassified the rest of the original A1s as A10s.

Gresley didn't like a divided drive and had all three cylinders driving the same axle.

Thompson didn't like the Gresley/Holcroft motion used on the inside cylinder, which was the Achilles heel of the Gresley engines especially during WW2 when they weren't maintained to pre war standard, and he used a third set of Walschaerts gear which meant driving the leading axle.

The way he did it meant a badly proportioned engine with a large gap between the bogie and the drivers and problems due to the frame flexing leading to the steam pipes leaking. Fortunately this was the only one as it was to put it bluntly, not a success. It was also remarkably ugly.

When Peppercorn took over the rest of the A1s were built closer to the Gresley ideal, but with the divided drive and three sets of Walschaerts gear. It was a properly thought out engine not a rebuild and had far better proportions. Basically what Gresley would have built under the post WW2 conditions.

These were A1s, and the Thompson rebuild became known as class A1/1.

Phew.

Don't ask about the A2s and their subclasses.

The other Chris.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Oops. Typo. Had. Sadly he is no longer with us. He became Sir Dai for his services to railway preservation, as well as honorouray positione, life membership etc in a lot of the preserved railways.

Without him there would be a heck of a lot less preserved engines.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee