help!

Hi all,

I'm not sure whether to post this here or uk.railway so apologies if you think this should have gone there.

for me, a gap in years spent interested in railway modelling coincided with a similar gap in my life of observing the prototype, and there's a couple of things that happened while i was gone that i wouldn't mind a bit of clarification on if anyone can help.

okay first one. Graham Farish have recently released a model of a Class 50 in LMS livery, which IMO looks 'orrible! When did this happen to the prototype? Is it a preserved livery, or one from it's BR working days?

one of the things that re-started my interest in railways was driving between bristol and bath, glancing over at the railway that runs mostly parallel with the road, and spotting a purple deltic! this was quite a shock at the time, although i've since gone on to read up a little bit on Porterbrook etc. Anyway's, when did the deltic get it's purple livery, and did they buy the loco directly from BR? how did the press react when it emerged in its new livery?

the other thing was, i used to love travelling to Cardiff and watching the triple headed class 37 ore trains bombing through the platforms (the noise!) approx what year did these stop?

oh, one more thing although perhaps too localised.. when last into modelling BR Blue, my layout was based on the engineering works at Ashton Gate in bristol, and i made up a tunnel inspection train based on wagons and coaches that were stabled there in (just a guess)

1977-81.. the works aren't rail served any longer (although i'm not too sure if they're actually closed or not) so i'm wondering if any of that stock survived, and if it did, where would it most likely be stabled nowadays? it was a right ramshackle bunch of stuff. six wheel milk tankers, roof inspection wagons based on old cattle wagons etc. I assume it's long gone, but would like to know for sure if anyone can help.

many thanks in advance for all or part of the above,

mutley

Reply to
mutley

That's 50017. It was painted in LMS Coronation maroon with gold stripes to match the proposed re-streamlining of Coronation Pacific 46229 "Duchess of Hamilton" for use as an ETS supply on the VSOE Northern excursions in Spring

2000. Unfortunately, due to higher than expected costs (or lack of funding), the plan was shelved but the 50 had already been repainted! It made a number of runs during the Summer and Autumn of 2000 on the Northern Belle workings to Barrow in Furness, Carlisle and Hereford before being taken out of traffic when EWS traction took over the Northern Belle trains (IIRC) and is currently stored, still in LMS livery, at Tyseley along with 50021 and 50050. Lima also released a OO gauge model of 50017 in this livery.

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

okay, thanks for that, i appreciate it :)

,utley

Reply to
mutley

thanks for that Adam, i appreciate it :)

seeing a banger blue Deltic on the mainline would have been enough to spur me to buy a railway magazine after years of not bothering. Back when i lost interest in railways the attitude towards preserved diesels on the mainline was (afaicr) no way, not now, not ever. Seeing a purple one was just amazing!

mutley

Reply to
mutley