How do you decide what to buy?

Hi,
When you want to buy a new model how do you choose?
If you want a 'OO' gauge RTR Cl.73 then it's easy but what about a
Cl.47 say?
Do you go to your local shop and try different ones? Do you trust
reviews? Or do you just go for the most up-to-date one?
I'm sure John T. (and others!) gets orders from modellers all over the
country and probably beyond, but how do these customers know what they
want, when they may not have even seen the loco in the flesh?
Del.
Reply to
Del The Obscure
In message , Del The Obscure writes
If it fits in with my chosen location and period, I'll buy it.
For a class 47, I wanted a late-60's/early-70's one that would pull about 25 coaches up a 1 in 75 incline. So I bought Heljan.
Next....
Reply to
John Sullivan
'Twas Tue, 2 Dec 2003 21:42:17 +0000, when John Sullivan decided to declare:
That's what I'm getting at. How did you *know* it'd pull that load on that gradient? Did you see one running? Or read reviews? Or just hope ?
Del.
Reply to
Del The Obscure
Like John, I buy the models that suit my modelled region and era. The first factor following is 'what does it look like?' If it looks right or if it can be modified/upgraded then I'll probably buy it. The next factor is price - more 'what can I sell to finance this purchase' rather than 'is it too expensive?' If the model proves to be a poor runner or won't pull then the answer is to modify the mechanisim. When there are two or even three models of the same prototype, I have a problem! My present solution is to buy all three (two proprietry, one kit) over a period of time as the budget allows.
Regards, Greg.P.
Reply to
Gregory Procter
"John Sullivan"
Exactly.
-- Cheers Roger T.
of the Great Eastern Railway
Reply to
Roger T.
In message , Del The Obscure writes
I read "reviews" and "previews", i.e what was written in this newsgroup, magazines such as Model Rail and British Model Railways, Model Railway Express
etc.
Reply to
John Sullivan
And are they unbiased true reviews???
Nick
Nick Gurney
In message , Nick Gurney writes
Your guess is as good as mine.
Note, I do NOT read the Railway Modeller.
Reply to
John Sullivan
So true!!!!.........................and thanks for being more accurate than the reviews!
I'm sure they will improve with a little running in.
Have to agree that they stopped me buying some of the c##p that the manufacturers of UK outline 4mm 'models' offer us............thanks again.
No...................why would you think this?
Mark
Reply to
mark
and roof, white skirt and waist bands of white and red."
So it's not in Intercity mainline livery then, as that livery didn't have a 'white skirt' would have been easier to say it's the wrong colour!
Nick
Nick Gurney