HST or Mk4 coach?

Sorry chaps, can anyone tell me if this is an HST with buffers or a Mk

4 driving trailer?

If the latter there seems a lot of space set aside for luggage, especially given the 'no luggage please were Virgin' Pendolino

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

It's a Mark3 DVT. Used on the WCML routes. Looks like the pic was taken in Manchester Piccadilly. Incidentally the formation is not the normal way round - usual practise was to have the DVT at the London end.

HTH, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Also some now in use with "ONE" on London-Norwich services.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

It's neither. It is a DVT and is more akin to a guards van with driving position. It allows push-pull operation for the trains on the WCML although I think the formation (87 + MkIIIs + DVT) have been largely replaced by pendos now.

Some HST (43xxx) power units were converted to have buffers though. And I think at least one was converyed to a DVT - dunno if it was still capable of haulage or was a re-use of a redundant shell. Anyone?

Reply to
unclewobbly

wrote

Some were indeed fitted with buffers, but none were converted to a DVT that I know of.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That is intersting John... I definately believe you but I remember being at the Kodak factory in Harrow and seeing a power car on the back of a standard 86 or 87 formation - it was white like the original livery of the DVTs and also I have seen a fuzzy picture of (possible the same) one at Hornsey or Wood Green that was used when the 91s were new. any ideas?

Reply to
unclewobbly

There were 6 HST-DVT conversions , fitted with TDM push-pull. They were trialled on the West Coast Mainline before the 82/1 DVTs arrived , then moved to the East Coast , where they were used in mixed formations with a clas 91 and a mk3 HST set , with a HST-DVT on the opposite end , capable of controlling the 91. Originally the power car was only used to provide the

3-phase supply for the train heating etc, but prolonged periods of idling was found to be bad for the power units , so they converted them to take power. Somewhere in the region of 7500Hp for a 91+HST so I imagine quite nifty! . In later years , the power cars migrated to Cross-Country , where the TDM equipment was removed , although some retained the additional instrument panel on top of the HST driving desk (sadly the "TE boost" button never worked when I pressed it... :-( )

Cheers

Richard Lea

Reply to
Richard Lea

6090+2250 = 8340hp!! Like s**t off the proverbial shovel.
Reply to
Rich Mackin

"Richard Lea" wrote

I know about these, but they were not DVTs in the strictest sense as they retained their capabilities as locomotives and were latterly used in powered mode as you suggested.

DVT = Driving Van Trailer - these were NOT trailers, but locomotives.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

This is a Mk3 DVT that was used on the West Coast Main Line. West Coast Mk3's were fitted with buffers and standard Electric Train Supply (ETS) and therefore could not be part of an HST formation in service. The HST coaching stock has different couplings, no buffers and an incompatible ETS. hope this helps, Steve

Reply to
titans

At least two, 43013 and 43014 are still in use with the Network Rail New Measurement Train, popularly known as "The Flying Banana"!

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Thanks - This is not an area I know a lot about, you didnt get many HSTs on 1920s light railway, but the more you find out the more interesting it gets. This is all for some work I am doing trying to get a website up to snuff

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike