Introducing myself

Hi,

I've just started building a small branch line goods yard, dated around

1960. It's not designed to be historically or technically accurate, just fun to operate. I hope to use a webcam and an Arduino board (small computer) to connect it to the Internet, and allow for remote control.

--James.

Reply to
James Goode

Allow internet viewers to operate your layout via remote control? An intriguing idea.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Why internet remote control ? It may be you would enjoy the challange of getting it working but then be bored with that. Tis ok so to do, lots of modellers prefer building to running. However, if you really do plan to run things remotely then you need to put extra attention to laying of track - use insulfrog points, and make sure the locos and rolling stock are good runners.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

The University of Ulm used to have one.

Alas, it is no more:

Dear Users

The Computer Sceince Departement of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany used to run the Internet Model Railroad on this Website. Unfortunately the laboratory in which the layout was sitting is needed for another experiment, the X-SITE. Unfortunately the University could not find another suitable room for the layout and the computers. In November of 2008 we had to dismantle the Internet Model Railroad. It will not be set up again.

The Internet Model Railroad has been a quite popular experiment in Internet based remote control and streaming. The experiment had grown out of a small layout and a video stzreaming system we had built at the University of Ulm starting in 1995 (see our paper from 1996 ). After a break in 2001 and 2002, we extended and enhanced the experiment at Freiberg starting in 2003. We were able to conduct extensive experiments in Internet video streaming with it. More than 2 Million visitors have played with our Internet Model Railroad in almost 12 years.

The department of computer science is now working on a Internet remote control experiment with little robots playing soccer.

I want to express my gratitude to all participants of the experiment, particularly to Dr. Heiner Wolf, Dr. Steffen Rudolf, and the many students for their relentless work in the design, implementation, and operation of the Internet Model Railroad.

Prof. Dr. Konrad Froitzheim

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

In message , simon writes

Did you really mean to say that? Surely electrofrog points are far better suited for good running. Everything has to be able to be controlled from a distance so you also need good reliable point motors, etc.

Reply to
Mike Hughes

Whoops - youre right there thanks, certainly did mean electrofrog.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I'm not planning to give users full control, they'll just click on the station, the engine shed, or the loading platform and the locomotive will go there.

I would like to buy a new locomotive soon. I have a Bachmann class 20, which runs very smoothly and never stalls, but I've designed the track to allow for two locomotives (at least in manual mode).

Reply to
James Goode

"James Goode" wrote

A class 08 shunter would be a good choice. The latest Hornby (superdetailed) model is superb, but don't get confused and buy the Railroad version - that's naff.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm a bit confused by Hornby's selection of class 08 locos. There seem to be two different class 08 models in the BR green livery, and the price difference is very small. Is one of them a replacement for the other?

Reply to
James Goode

is it not as John said, one is from the Railroad (cheap and cheerful but should be good runner) or normal/superdetail range ? If shop doesnt say then look at the Rnnnn number on Hornby website.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Just uploaded a couple of photographs. I'll try to upload on one of the engine shed later.

--James.

Reply to
James Goode

Could be a solution for poor people living in micro-flats, no need to find room for a layout, just share one on line!

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith