Less superdetailing stance vindicated

I've always thought it was wrong for Hornby, and others, to go for superdetailing at the cost of higher prices, totally negating the potential savings of moving production to China. Now it seems Hornby agree "This locomotive is designed and priced at a slightly lower specification than our high detail products, while maintaining margins. In the current economic climate it seems that a proportion of our hobby customers would prefer a slightly less detailed product, available at a more competitive price point," from the Daily Telegraph report on sales of tornado.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

What about the Railroad range?

Reply to
MartinS

or

Interesting that the Telegraph headline refers to Hornby as 'Scalectrix maker' rather than 'Model train maker'.

Hornby's Tornado *is* in the Railroad range, at £62 from Hatton's. It's also available in BR Brunswick green with 3 Mk1 coaches at £132.

It would be foolish to offer a high-detail version, when Bachmann is about to issue one in OO at £129; they also have one in N gauge at £121.

Dapol has an N 'Tornado', but it's Britannia Pacific 70022.

MartinS