Lonestar Class 23 'Baby Deltic' conversion

Well I finally got round to it. Quite happy with the results although I had to hand-paing it...

's ok though. What do you think?

As I model SR, it doesn't *really* fit... but I like 'em. The bachman chassis is great and makes it very strong.

Uncle Wobbly

That's excellent - I've got one of those things somewhere (and some 37 ends) so I may well have a bash myself!

Reply to
Adam

Yeah, do it.

If you need any help (that's not on the page) give me a shout

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

Considering that the old Lone Star model was primarily intended for the toy market and made 40ish years ago, the end product looks very good indeed, and certainly out of the ordinary. When I was in my teens (early 1990s), an awful lot of Lone Star Class 24s and Baby Deltics seemed to turn up at swapmeets as NOS in the original packaging - goodness knows where they dug them all out from! I'm sure there is an alternative Baby Deltic around in kit form, but a Lone Star conversion makes for an unusual model which ought to be cheap(ish) to build. Given that it ought to be possible to convert the Farish Class 25, I suppose there is less of a convincing case for building a similarly 'souped-up' Lone Star Class 24, though.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Ian Stoat does a body kit for a farish chassis that will end up at around £60 finished item

Uncle Wobbly

Well, you aren't the only modeller to have gone down the Lone Star route;

Very nice work - flush-glazing and a scratch chassis to boot!

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

wow! he has done a nice job

I am a little bit of a coward when it comes to scratching a chassis tho' - top work

I have yet to glaze mine - haven't ever done flush glazing - got some ideas about acetate behind and then fill with crystal resin... any ideas anyone?

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

I have heard of liquid flush glazing products - don't know much about them or how they work, but they sound ideal for 2mm models, as it avoids fiddling about with tiny pieces of clear plastic. Also noticed on this other Lone Star-based model that it has the later style of main grille, with the outer mesh cover left off. And is it just me, or is it that, despite its age, the end windows on the Lone Star body are better than those on the Stoat model? The latter look too small to me.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

I tend to agree but this could be rectified by opening out the windows a tad.

I do think the LS model has more of the look of the 23 "out of the box" so to speak

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly