Narrow gauge scale kits

Stimpy said the following on 21/01/2008 22:24:

Don't!! Just don't, OK :-) :-) :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

For true authenticity for a Welsh Narrow gauge line the shop in Portmeirion village sells replicas of the buildings there. Luvvrly bright colours and you could run Italian stock as well.

G.harman

Reply to
oldship

Slate mines - plenty. The narrow vien at Corris was mined underground, and served by the upper line from Maespoeth (originally the main line of the Corris, but only ever horse-worked). Plenty of the slate from Blaenau is mined underground, too.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

I thought about that definition but dropped it as coal is mined either underground or by opencast workings. Had quick look at a mining textbook that says 'quarrying is done for dimension stone and crushed stone'.

So looks as though nope, no slate mining.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Swithland slate first used in Roman Leicester as a roofing material. Reached max annual output of 4936 tons in 1895 - that was 0.9 % of national output if I remember correctly.

Not so sure about Mull, mostly intrusive and lavas.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

simon said the following on 22/01/2008 23:23:

...is the wrong answer. See all the previous examples.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Erm, they just name a few underground quarries. As slate is a 'dimension stone' it is quarried and not mined.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

simon said the following on 23/01/2008 23:25:

Take a look at the website of a company that's been *mining* and quarrying slate for 150 years. I reckon that after all that time they might know what they're talking about.

"has been mining and quarrying Natural Slate at Llechwedd Slate Mines for over 150 years."

"our world famous cavern tours how slate was mined"

"By the 1870?s slate mining had become one of the most important of Welsh industries."

"Blaenau Ffestiniog, where the slate was mined rather than quarried."

Reply to
Paul Boyd

It's actually a very sensible business model for the society and for members.

Pay the membership and it will probably pay for itself in the saving's you'll make. I hate to use the S word but I think you would be stupid not to. You can always decline to renew membership after a year or two.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Does anyone remember the one in RM in the mid-late 70's. I think it took inspiration from Llaregub (Under Milk Wood - "bugger all" backwards). The name had welsh spelling but was pronounced "Where the 'ell are we". What was the other station called?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Can I now plug my friend Dave's site covering mines of NW Wales ?

He also has "BBC cred points" with an article at

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

On 24/01/2008 09:35, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said,

Dunno, but wasn't that the punchline of a very old joke about some African tribes of short stature? :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 24/01/2008 10:18, Nigel Cliffe said,

I think you just did :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Not at all, having worked in the mning industry I know that miners just describe things as they need to for their own environment. Presume its the same in many other industries - which course is perfectly fine for them.

As an similar example consider the broad range of 'granites' available from stone suppliers. Very few are real granites but who cares when fitting a kitchen.

So, I recon you can have an underground quarry and an opencast mine but if you want to be accurate in terms of mining then there are no slate mines.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I don't think the word was "'ell" :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

It was when me dad first told me - was about 7.

Simon

Reply to
simon

You were up early!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Simon,

In the joke, as I remember it, the tribe's name started with "F" :-) Your dad might have told it differently if you had been a fair bit older :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

He did - many times. Now its my turn.