New deliveries

In the 1960s when large numbers of diesel locomotives were being delivered each month, how did they get to their allocated depot?

Were there numerous light engine movements, or were they included in freight trains?

EE Type 3s and Hymeks for S Wales for instance, would have had a very long journey just to get to Canton or Landore.

I dont remember seeing too many during the daytime, so did they mainly move around after dark?

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

wrote

I can remember Claytons being shipped north in freight trains up the Midland and saw several such movements at Normanton in West Yorkshire.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

From my memories of 40+ years ago, often looking out of the Vulcan telephone exchange window, I would say that almost all the EE/Vulcan diesel electric locomotives went to Doncaster for acceptance trials before being allocated to depots, even those intended for Edge Hill, only 14 miles away from Newton-le-Willows.

I can remember mainly Guide Bridge locomen arriving by train at Earlestown, walking down the road to Vulcan to pick up the locos and drive them back to their own area. There, they were relieved by Doncaster men who took them to the Works via the Woodhead Tunnel route.

The exceptions I noticed were the D400s (later Class 50s), which went the 28 miles south to Crewe.

Reply to
Eddie Bellass

That is excellent, thanks.

So, I can have a decent excuse for running the occasional shiny 'new' diesel on my layout every now and again. I have hardly ever seen photos (except for occasional test runs in primer) of these workings. I assume new shunters must have been included in freight trains because of limits on their speed.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002