The Elite DCC Sagas

A new oddity showed up yesterday. I made up a double header configuration with two Cl 47 of the same construction (the type that react like racehorses). This worked perfectly well for a while but then it became clear that one of them was dead.

I dissolved the group and the runner carried on under its own address. The other remained dead.

I checked it's basic cv's and they were correct so I reset the chip and gave it the same number; Nothing!

Having no other means of checkng chips (both still ran on DC) I swapped the 47s chips over. The two locos were both on the track and I controlled the one with the "good chip" which moved off and to my astonishment so did the other!

I immediately checked their cv 1's and found them to be the same address.(all address changes took place on the prog track)

It also became clear that the address which had failed would not work but the chip happily accepted any other offered to it.

There has to be a hidden virtue in these tests of diagnostic ability. It takes me back to my apprentice days and makes me really glad for all the mind bending we were put to!

I also commissioned one of the R8247 point/accessory control units.

This brought up a whole host of cuss words as the punch was insufficient to move a peco point until endless freeing, lubricating of point & motors. Ensring that holding down screws were not over tight or causing distortion etc etc; In any case the switch rarely occured on the first shot and tells me that some kind of tell tell will be needed. I also reset the pulse length to the max recommended . This showed up the rather bizarre arrangement where if following the recommendations sequential numbering of points - starting at 1 et cie to 255 demands cv 515 through to cv780 ( or so it reads). I shall not find out the truth until I fit a second unit but a feeling in my water says that it will not be quite straight forward!

Reply to
Sailor

Not quite sure what you are saying here but accessory decoders do use CV numbers 512 and above. Most, however, will also mirror all Cvs to 0

- 511 to allow use with early systems that could not program the high numbered CVs.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That looks very complicated, the simple answer may help :- Elite programming output is low power for safety. Points decoder was designed with Select in mind. Elite programming output has difficulty throwing point so you dont know if it worked or not. Workaround .... Put point decoder onto main output for a minute or so (with power of course) to charge it. Move point decoder to programming output. Do point programming as per Elite instructions. Works (nearly) every time !

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon