Trundleduct

I have now invented the "trundleduct". I will stick some pics on my website when I have a minute.

I am building a model railway in my garden room, which is 27' x 17' (8.2m x 5.2m or four by two and a half centifurlongs). It goes round the room twice, crossing over itself, but it has to cross in front of a double door which is how you get in the room.

Across this door will be a viaduct, 400mm high (100ft scale, roughly) and about 5ft long, which is on a frame mounted on wheels which fold up when you move a lever, and swings round on a pivot.

So: viaduct which trundles out of the way, or trundleduct.

I'm thinking of patenting it...

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

i suspect you (like me) never finish anything but get so far through then move on. In that case I suggest you plan it much grander - perhaps have a hologram of a boat moving underneath with an orchestra.

Do get on with the loco kit !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Flipping 'eck mate, I'm having enough bother trying to fit about 20 sets of points into a 6x6ft (+ a 2x1ft siding).

This does of course mean I will *have* to organise a visit now!

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes

It sounds a bit like a traverser:

Will the railway be "like the real thing" or will it jbex properly?

And which will probably be moved out of the way by someone just when a train is approaching.

Why not have the track descend to below floor level by means of a spiral

- which could be hidden in scenery - cross the gap via a tunnel or duct set in the floor and then ascend via another spiral to emerge via a tunnel mouth?

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

Could the trundleduct not be attached to the back of the double doors? The doubledoorduct ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

If, like me,you have made or will make changes then I would make the basic schematic on white plastic ( as thin as possible) and cover that with another layer of clear plastic. The two can be mounted onto whatever support base. Alterations are then possible without total rebuild. The schematic is Drawn using felt pens and switches mounted through the white planar surface. The clear having been drilled at the same time but the holes opened out to clear the operating levers or buttons and lamps. If thicker clear material is employed then a degree of protection is offered to the moving parts! It is also easier to keep clean!

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Peter Abraham said the following on 16/01/2008 11:34:

Wrong thread?????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Yup, 'cuz Peter didn't quote and bottom post. So he lost track of what he was talking about.

Reply to
Wolf K.

You could say that!

My news reader has a habit of doing either that or ignoring me -- like the rest of the world does normally;

Sorry if your reading has been disturbed.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

It's not a new idea. It's been used for fiddle yard storage in larger scales, based on a tea trolley.

For an example see Gordon Gravett's "7mm Modelling, Part Two" published by Wild Swan. He uses it in one of his layout plans.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Peter Abraham said the following on 16/01/2008 15:56:

Some people might say that I'm permanently disturbed :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

.... or put up a set on venetian blinds with one of the blinds carrying a section of track.

I did find this on the web :-

Method and device for erecting long spanning girders, particularly on viaducts. The method for the erection of a long girder comprises the steps of placing a front runway beam on the top of the front pier; placing a rear runway beam on the front extremity of the girder previously erected; lifting the girder by means of lifting devices fixed to cantilevers provided at the extremities of the girder to be lifted; translating the girder horizontally and transversely to the longitudinal direction of the girder into a position above the piers.

trundleduct ? Sorry but I think it's already been done.

Reply to
Dragon Heart

On or around Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:55:39 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" enlightened us thusly:

I trust there's going to be an interlock to stop the train when the viaduct's not there?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles said the following on 17/01/2008 10:02:

No need to worry - if the viaduct isn't there the train will stop one way or another :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Charles Dickens could have confirmed that.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Won't that spoil the excitement?

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

We had a Girder viaduct made of wood. Well long sleeper strips on Our old O Gauge layout in the 50's And I remember a live steam loco stuck in it as flames wrapped around the body. I think the had to push it out with a brush handle be fore they could put wet cloths on it

Reply to
Trev

The L & B could have used it as a level crossing instead of their silly lift bridges:

robertharvey

What a delightfully silly answer to an unnecessary problem. I like it!

Reply to
Sena

Went through Listowel a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, the railway had ceased operation for the day.

Reply to
MartinS