Terrifying

Not exactly a stationary engine, but something to think about. From April Marine Engineers Review. The first MAN/B&W Diesel Engine to exceed the 100,000bhp barrier entered service earlier this year. Assembled by Hyundai the 2100 tonne engine, 16M tall, produces 101,640bhp at

97rpm. eg
Reply to
Eddie Green

Ye gods! Any pictures?

John

Reply to
John Nice

I think they have been building this engine for a while, I have a link saved from 2003. Maybe they finally sold one of the 14 cylinder versions.

Andre' B.

Reply to
andre_54005

Its a 12K98MC eg

Reply to
Eddie Green

Eddie... With my line of work I actually visit the current fleet of Hapag Lloyd vessels which have the 98000 hp 12 cyl. version, your right they are Terrifying straight 12 with 4 turbos the size of 6 x 6 sheds, about 3-4 stories high 2000 liters per pot 24000 liters in total max

180 R.P.M and all through to a single prop , not seen one running yet, the spare piston and conrod weighs about 2-3 tons and is roughly 4 foot in diameter, each of the crankcases has a full size door you can open and walk in to, I will take some pictures next time I am on board.

Regards bob

Reply to
Bob

Interesting thing is the crank. No two pistons move together.

John

Reply to
John

Reply to
Eddie Green

Most marine diesel engines are two stroke and fully reversable, when they want to go backwards they stop the engine and start it in reverse.

rgds bob

Reply to
Bob

Very interesting, but what do they use to start an engine of this size?

Reply to
Richard

Normally started by injecting air into the cylinders, air is controlled by a separate camshaft which also cuts off the fuel to those cylinders while they are being turned over.

It's almost standard for very big diesels now, the largest electric starter motor I have seen were on big Caterpillar diesels and that was a 48V motor.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Well, they've got this pulley and a really BIG bit of rope . . .

Sorry, it's the moon thing again

JW²

Reply to
JW²

Then they hang the anchor on it and let go. If the water's deep enough, away they go.

Reply to
John

Then they hang the anchor on it and let go. If the water's deep enough, away they go.

ROFLMAO. My wife too

John

Reply to
John Nice