Trundleduct

It seems to have started life cross-posted to both groups ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

ITYF it was xposted out of urs by the Shedi OP.

Reply to
Sn!pe

On or around Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:35:18 -0500, MartinS enlightened us thusly:

damned if I know, twasn't me yeronner.

'ere, while we've got the railway modellers calling, I can ask this:

Anyone know where to get a track diagram, including gradients, for the Central Wales line (now Heart of Wales) between Swansea and Shrewsbury (or indeed, tween Lanelli and Craven Arms?

Solid info that it is in such-and-such book will do, provided the book is available somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There used to be a book entitled (I think) "Gradient Profiles of British Railways". Worth asking yoiur local library to see if they can get it, if putting the title I quoted gets a NIL response they will/ought to then put in the words singly - then it should show up. I don't know if Middleton Press have yet covered this particular line, if they have then their book is likely to be very helpful. In the old days (!) it would have been possiblt to get track diagrams from the Western Region Public Relations Office at Paddington - but whether this service still exists I don't know.

Hope this helps,

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

It was the original poster what done it AFAIR.

Reply to
Cerumen

On or around Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:03:25 -0000, "David Costigan" enlightened us thusly:

it might. The current custodians of track diagrams and the like are notwork rail, and from what I gather, the email I sent to them is liable to be a waste of electrons. The info is "need to know" and not available to any Tom Dick or Harry. Doubtless they'd claim this is cos of terrrrists but why would I need gradient data for an obscure railway with 4 trains a day in order to blow up trains I have no idea.

In the case of the Central Wales line, out of date info would undoubtedly be OK, I can't see the gradients having changed significantly in about a hundred years.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:03:25 -0000, "David Costigan" enlightened us thusly:

close:

I think I'll get it anyway, even if it doesn't have the one I want, it sounds a handy volume.

I see Ian Allan have some other useful-looking stuff... duly ordered :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I just had a lucky escape there.

very nice indeed, until I saw the price.

Reply to
robertharvey

I was intrigued with this:

"Divers and railway enthusiasts hope to recover from the Atlantic two

100-year-old steam engines, which were torpedoed by a German submarine during the First World War"

I'm sure that's not exactly what they meant, unless Seagoon Bloodnock were involved somehow.

Reply to
robertharvey

looked very nice indeed, until I saw the price.

No wonder... they're 13 librae. That's some serious amount of book.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Bos