Turntables

I'd like to fit a small turntable at the end of my branch line, but I'm having some difficulty finding any OO kits shorter than 270mm. It only needs to fit an N2 at the longest, no more than 150mm over buffers. Google's not helping much. Does anyone know of any commercially available kits for shorter deck turntables?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Atlas list a HO one at 9 inch diameter, which is 225mm.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Surely the thing about tank engines, N2, is that they do not need turning?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

But the crew will be facing the wrong way ;-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Fit a turntable in the cab

Reply to
Trev

True, but I have a nice picture of an LNER branch terminus with a small turntable :-)

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

The Hayfield branch line used to have a turntable but when tank engines replaced the Sacre locomotives the turntable was removed.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

The SECR had small turntables at the end of their Hayes and Bromley North branches. These were used for releasing the locomotive to run round the train.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Yes, looking more closely at the picture it seems to be primarily a way of running the loco into the shed or run-around loop without the need for a headshunt of any kind; the angle does not show why this might have been necessary.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Mildenhall had one

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

The perfect excuse for slapping a Lancaster onto a layout :o)

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

Withernsea had one at the end of the main platform; it was used both for turning the loco & releasing it from the the platform road, there being no pointwork.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Presumably because the Mildenhall branch was so long that tender engines (esp E4s) were used instead of tank engines.

Tim whose books are still in boxes

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

North Woolwich had one at the end of the platform, for locomotive release in a confined space. On the GWR, Princetown had a small turntable but this was to turn the snow plough in winter, The junction at the other end of the branch, Yelverton also had one. Engines always worked in the uphill direction to make sure there was plenty of water over the firebox crown sheet.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : I'd like to fit a small turntable at the end of my branch line, but : I'm having some difficulty finding any OO kits shorter than

270mm. It : only needs to fit an N2 at the longest, no more than 150mm over : buffers. Google's not helping much. Does anyone know of any : commercially available kits for shorter deck turntables? :

Why not model a boarded-in turntable [1], that way you can use what ever you like for the substructure and to what ever length you wish, then all you need to do is use your favourite modelling plastic or card to represent the planking and some bent wire to represent the various handrails, levers and pushing-bars etc? But as others have said, something the size of a N2 won't have needed a TT, looking at my references (for pre-grouping and Southern sheds) the smallest TT seems to have been around the 42ft mark which equates to ~ 6.5 inches or 168mm.

[1] quite common in pre grouping days within round-houses or were, as others have suggested, the TT was used for loco release within the platform area of a branch terminus
Reply to
Jerry

The Keighley & Worth Valley operates with locos facing uphill. They run around the train at each end. Some years ago KWVR installed a small Midland turntable from Garsdale in the original pit at Keighley. Larger locos have to use the triangular junction at Shipley to turn. Locos are usually only turned to face downhill for filming purposes.

MartinS

Many of which survived into BR days.

Scroll down almost to the bottom and you will see a Holden 2-4-2T which is smaller than an N2, being turned. And there's not much room to spare.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Dont think thats a good idea as you would have to modify all locos that may run there. Better to have the driver facing forwards and fireman back - quite a reasonable scenario.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

And a lovely photo of a double slip.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Atlas. 9" Geneva mechanisim. (old one 12 tracks, current 24 tracks) Heljan for USA - N gauge plastic kit circa 9". (convert it) Roco 20.5m HO - all the bells and whistles for serious money. Fleischmann do their N guage TT with HO deck track and clip in lead tracks. Nice. Also Fln do a small HO manual deck TT, with clip in lead roads. Arnold N guage - I built an HO deck over the N gauge deck. Peco N/HOm guage. Very short. (convert it) Heljan do an HO one similar to Roco. (again, serious money) Kibri did a manual wagon TT and a short manual loco TT.

Lots of options - either lots of money or lots of conversion.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter