Something for the north - at last

I've heard a very strong rumour that one of the major model manufacturers is to produce a 4mm scale (OO-gauge) ready-to-run model of an LNER/BR L1 2-6-4T in 2010.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I w00t! In fact I want a British Standard Several of them... Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

The Thompson one? Didn't think they'd be particularly popular. All but the prototype were built after nationalisation and the prototype (9000/67701) itself was built in May 1945 so any LNER interest would be limited to the post-war period which few people model AFAIK.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

"Graham Thurlwell" wrote

It will be more popular up here than all of the Southern rubbish that's been churned out in the last few years. Mind I could think of any number of other former LNER prototypes which would have far greater sales potential.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ah, but not many of those would use a 2-6-4 chassis John, something the 2 major players already have in the parts bin. Or am I just being cynical? Merry Xmas, Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yipppppppeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jerry

They were a widely spread class, the London end of the old GE and GN lines, all over the GC lines (will compliment the O4) not to mention some being up in John's neck of the woods too. All I need now is a J6 - oh and some RTR ex LNER Quad-arc stock, but I'll settle for the reintroduction of the BR standard suburban stock...

Reply to
Jerry

Another kit year then ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Double Yippee, not only a LNER L1, but allowing for a layout (additional) period of the late green diesel era will allow for a Class 33 plus 4VEPs on delivery - the VEPs being built at York and thus had to be loco hauled to the SR...

Reply to
Jerry

Like a B17? :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Fred X" wrote

Most definitely not. Why re-tool a model that's been in the catalogue for donkeys years; it must restrict potential sales. There's so many former LNER locos which have never been modelled, and which had a wider area of operation. I just despair.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

: : I just despair. :

As you do each and ever year at this time John, you never seem to be happy, by your logic Hornby should be still selling the old Triang-Hornby 'Flying Scotsman' A3...

Reply to
Jerry

I take it that you don't model the NE region, then? It is rather tiresome having endless new models of A3 and A4 pacifics trotted out (albeit rather nice ones these days) but only the rather elderly Hornby N2 for general or branch traction. We all know that the A3 and A4 are only retooled because they are sexy, they are of distinctly limited practical use to a modeller even one like me whose layout will accommodate a platform over 3.5m long.

John's right: there are many more pressing needs for an NE region modeller than yet another A3, even if I do have two (tender and loco drive), and really they start with the basic everyday locos. An L1 will be most welcome, and for that matter almost any RTR workhorse should sell. My personal wishlist includes a B1 and an Ivatt C12. A J15 ought to find a ready market having been in service for about 80 years so spanning a lot of modelling periods, and a retooling of the absolutely dire J72 currently on offer is well overdue. I believe that LNER's most numerous types were 0-6-0 tender and tank locos, this is an area that as far as I can tell lacks a single decent RTR model. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Jerry" < wrote

There are some keynote locomotives which are of such significance that they can stand repeated re-tooling. 'Flying Scotsman' and 'Mallard' being two examples.

Others are worthy of their slot in time, but perhaps are best left alone after that, allowing others to come to the fore.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Given that's exactly what they've done with the spamcans, black 5, A3, A4, 8F, schools, castle, duchess and princess (off the top of my head) it obviously works well as a business model.

Reply to
airsmoothed

"airsmoothed" wrote

But how much better might it have been with completely new prototypes?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I presume the logic in choosing to retool the B17 is the potential for selling them to football fans! Again. It's like the Beatles remastering their albums for the umpteenth time!

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Fred X" wrote

How many 'Grimsby Town' locos would the typical footies fan want? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Grimsby Town played in Cleethorpes!

Grimsby Town was also a railway station.

Reply to
MartinS

Davd Alexander has new kits for LNER J77 (the 0-6-0 BTP/G6 rebuilds) N8, N9 and N10s coming out next year. Saw the prototype castings for the J77 on his stand at Blyth. Very nice indeed.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell