Something for the north - at last

[Thompson L1 class]

Yeah, looking at Yeadon's, Hull Botanic Gardens had a decent sized allocation right the way through the BR steam period. None of them seem to have spent much time in one place at other NER sheds. Apart from 67772 (22/11/48 - 19/11/61), 67750 (09/12/48 - 03/12/61) and

67777 (21/01/50 - 19/11/61) at Darlington, the rest seem to have been moved every few months or so. 67735 spent its entire career at Stratford.

Looking at the repair histories, the class seems to have suffered from dodgy tanks.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

Well on the basis of one each, probably about half a dozen...:-)

Reply to
John Nuttall

And Berwick Rangers is an English team playing in the Scottish League.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Like the extension to railroad range with Patriot, may well have one of those.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"John Nuttall" wrote > "John Turner" wrote >> "Fred X" wrote

Historically, Hornby always seem to make the first release of a new model in a less than popular livery. That way they get to sell to customers who "must have" the latest release. They will probably save Manchester United (assuming that 61662 is identical to 61650) until the moulds are wearing out or times are particularly hard.

Regards, Riddles

Reply to
Riddles

"Riddles" wrote

They could still have that 'must have' customer if they produced in a popular livery. I don't understand the logic of what you say, even if it does appear to be true.

They do seem to have a knack of producing things in liveries with little demand.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"simon" wrote

The way they're going they'll kill the Railroad range in much the way they appear to have pretty much killed Skaledale by over-producing too much product.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They get two sales out of such customers, the "must have a first relese", to show off and boost their ego, and the second sale is for the model that is the more practical - so expect the L1 to be released first as 9000 in LNER Apple Green and then followed by the BR black versions...

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

If I wanted one or two L1s, you'd never persuade me to buy an inappropriate livery whichever arrived first.

Bit like the sound-equipped class 50 Hornby have just released in Dutch livery, interest in that has been zilch, whereas BR blue, large logo blue or NSE would have sold.

They seem to have a death wish with some of their recent diesel livery releases.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is there a market, do you think, for part-assembled unpainted versions of standard models? I know that there is a thriving market in decals for renumbering, I wonder if this might feed into the same groups of enthusiasts. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

There's probably a market for everything, the secret is knowing how big that market might be.

Why might there be a market for part-assembled models? Didn't Tri-ang briefly try something similar in the 1960s with their CKD (Completely Knocked Down) kits of locos, coaches etc? They didn't remain on the market for long - I suspect for three reasons:

a) they were only marginally cheaper than fully finished models,

b) the difficulty in painting & lining such items to the same standard as factory finished models &

c) the market didn't want them

Interestingly the North Americans produced much of their freight rolling stock in kit form (although pretty much ready painted & lettered) until fairly recently. Since the discovery of (relatively & declining) cheap labour in China, they have significantly moved to completely finished models - I assume because that's what the market really wants.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The part-assembled is down to the detail parts not being fitted until colour coat is applied (I am sure most of us do this with kits). I agree about lining, but there are probably ways round that with decals. I don't know, perhaps all I want is un-numbered models and optional parts for slightly different variants. My problem is simple: I have a large layout and typically want more than one of several classes of loco (I will definitely want more than one L1 if / when they come out). Renumbering is not terribly hard, of course.

My other pet peeve is manufacturers not leaving enough room for decoders. That is changing as DCC becomes more common, thankfully. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

: perhaps all I want is un-numbered models and : optional parts for slightly different variants.

Hornby tried that too, obviously (as they don't offer such models now) it wasn't much of a success, probably because we are becoming nothing but a nation of 'box openers' - not just were model railways are concerned either, we seem want and expect everything served on a plate these days.

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

I suspect that's true & Hornby probably consider it reduces their opportunity for issuing future numbering variations.

Dapol also tried supplying undecorated goods wagons (presumably in response to a market clamouring for them) but real demand was abysmal.

John,

Reply to
John Turner

: Dapol also tried supplying undecorated goods wagons (presumably in response : to a market clamouring for them) but real demand was abysmal. :

I could never see much point in those, except perhaps the 5 and 7 plank RCH open wagons (were modellers might well have used then as a base for non-available PO liveries), for grouping and BR wagons it just seemed pointless and I suspect that the sales figures proved this. Most people don't seem to be so worried about repeat running numbers on coaches and wagon stock either so even that 'problem' is mostly a non issue too.

Reply to
Jerry

"John Turner" wrote

Snip

I have never understood why they have never released 46229 Duchess of Hamilton which would have sold like hot cakes!

Prior to being re-streamlined it/she was a very popular mainline charter performer. For 2010 apparently we will be able to have a choice of City of Lancaster or City of Coventry, both in the same very attractive maroon livery that 46229 carried.

Similarly with the humble Austerity. As well as the very nice NCB and company liveries, they have done 8 different BR Black variations but, as far as I am aware, the ones they have done are no longer in existence.

They have never done 68030, which has worked on the Churnet Valley, East Lancs., and Strathspey railways (probably others) so would surely have been the most popular. They (and Dapol) have done 68080 so it is quite easy to re-number but it is a mystery to me as to why they have missed this opportunity.

Riddles

Reply to
Riddles

"Riddles" wrote

They did, and you obviously missed it like many others, but it was released in streamlined form before DoH was finally re-streamlined. It really needed to be on the market around the time that the NRM unveiled the newly streamlined loco. Another missed opportunity, and of course not one compensated for with an unpopular choice of prototype.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

IYO John, OTOH releasing it after the project launch but before completion (of fund raising or work) is one way that Hornby were able to help raise awareness of the project.

IIRC they have done something similar with 4472 Flying Scotsman also.

Reply to
Jerry

"John Turner" wrote

I did know that they released 6229 (reference R2689) but I was particularly referring to the de-streamlined BR maroon version behind which I and many others have travelled.

I had wondered if Hornby might have released both versions packaged together at a "premium" price.

Riddles

Reply to
Riddles

Indeed! I think that the decision to release such an expensive version in an obscure livery is one of the most bizarre that Hornby has made in recent years! It was a bit like when Bachmann first released their Class

45 in a special white roofed livery that was probably applied to just a few examples of the class.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X