Ugh!

What were they thinking of?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

As the Ad states: beginners and smallies! (after due risk assessment of course!)

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes

This?

Jane Sullivan

Reply to
MartinS

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

At least that looks like a steam locomotive & is neatly proportioned.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well said sir

I know the Railroad range has not gone down too well in some quarters but the range 'does what it say's on the tin'.

These 0-4-0 models are not my cup of tea as they are so fiddly to fit them for DCC ( I wish the Collectors Club model was at least DC ready ) but for a young child or someone who has just started or restarted in this hobby it's great. It's pocket money price ..... OK some may have to save for a week or so ....... but it's a start.

We got a Railroad Class 47 which IS DCC ready just prior to Christmas for a 'well done' gift later in the year. Yes it's the old Lima one with a new lick of paint but our sone will love it and will not have to even get the souldering iron out !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Well said sir

I know the Railroad range has not gone down too well in some quarters but the range 'does what it say's on the tin'.

These 0-4-0 models are not my cup of tea as they are so fiddly to fit them for DCC ( I wish the Collectors Club model was at least DC ready ) but for a young child or someone who has just started or restarted in this hobby it's great. It's pocket money price ..... OK some may have to save for a week or so ....... but it's a start.

We got a Railroad Class 47 which IS DCC ready just prior to Christmas for a 'well done' gift later in the year. Yes it's the old Lima one with a new lick of paint but our sone will love it and will not have to even get the souldering iron out !

Chris

Also handy for On16.5 methinks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Well said sir

I know the Railroad range has not gone down too well in some quarters but the range 'does what it say's on the tin'.

These 0-4-0 models are not my cup of tea as they are so fiddly to fit them for DCC ( I wish the Collectors Club model was at least DC ready ) but for a young child or someone who has just started or restarted in this hobby it's great. It's pocket money price ..... OK some may have to save for a week or so ....... but it's a start.

We got a Railroad Class 47 which IS DCC ready just prior to Christmas for a 'well done' gift later in the year. Yes it's the old Lima one with a new lick of paint but our sone will love it and will not have to even get the souldering iron out !

Chris

I'm still waiting for my 9F which a few people have said is good value. Still if dont get this one then may be better off waiting for the BR Black instead - save a few coats of paint. Might even get the black 5 and modify it to one of the lessor variants

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

No problem with the 'Railroad' range, it's another arrow in Hornby's bow, and certain aspects have generally sold extremely well. The large 'kettles' (A4 & 9F) in particular are good value when compared with the rest of the mainstream range.

Credit where it's due!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:04:00 -0000, "John Turner" said in :

So what's the difference between the Railroad A4 and the proper A4? And do they have a proper loco drive 9F to compete with the Railroad version? Because the tender drive 9f is pretty poor, as far as I can tell.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

Both the 'Railroad' A4 & 9F are loco drive - the latter a first for Hornby and both are DCC ready.

The basic difference appears to be with the level of detailing.- there's no cab glazing on the A4 whilst the 9F is bereft of loco brake gear for example. I've no doubt there are other 'economies' but haven't checked them out in great detail.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Past suggestions by people for a "value" or "basics" range of rolling stock have often been met with derision.

Do you think the sales of the Railroad range are at the expense of the main business or does it sell to different customers, thus justifying it's introduction?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:16:59 -0000, "John Turner" said in :

And actually I don't have a problem with them offering older or less detailed models at lower prices - although I would be somewhat happier if they had dropped the prices of the old Gresley teak coaches which are now in the Railroad range. But the loco I originally spotted was... nasty. Perhaps they need three ranges: serious hobbyist, Railroad and toy trains. That loco lived in the Thomas zone. Fine as a toy. And I speak as one for whom playing trains is the thing and the whole of the thing.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote

I can't be sure, but suspect that it might be a bit of both. One chap came into the shop wanting a 'Mallard' but baulked at the £100+ RRP, but when the 'Railroad' A4 was shown to him he chose that.

It's a different matter with the diesel models, however, customers look at the 'Railroad' class 37s & 47s and then spend an extra tenner or so more to buy infinitely superior diesel models from the Bachmann range - notably 20s,

24s & 25s. These all have can motors & twin fly-wheel drive, with the latter two also having lights - a big attraction for young kids.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Since the non-powered rolling stock is basically the same as Hornby was selling before the current super-detailed stuff, it enables modellers with older stock to add matching rolling stock to their collections, that is if they can't find decent second-hand ones.

Hornby has always catered to youngsters who have grown out of Thomas with the likes of Smokey Joe, etc. Now they're catering to older kids, as well as adults who can't or don't want to spend lots of money to upgrade their entire collections to the latest standards. It's nice to have the choice, and I'm sure Hornby has done its market research.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

It's also had a detrimental impact on second-hand prices. We always used to be able to sell used 'Flying Scotsman' locos for around £50, but since it's introduction to the 'Railroad' range prices for that loco have dropped by about 30%. Similar comments apply to the older-type Gresley & Pullman coaches.

However I suspec the biggest impact has been on our sale of 'Flying Scotsman' trainsets, which no-longer seem quite so attractively priced when they include the cheap 'Railroad' range loco.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I would imagine there's more second-hand stock coming onto the market too, from modellers upgrading to the super-detailed stuff.

Reply to
MartinS

I imagine Hornby's goal is to maximise its overall return on investment. Time will tell whether introduction of the Railroad range helps in the achievement of that goal, even though there is bound to be some overlap with its other ranges.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Not everyone is happy in replacing an old-favourite loco with some over-priced model which bits fall off as soon as you handle it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

or as soon as you mis-handle it

But they must be happy with the decrease in price for second hand locos caused by introduction of railroad. So everyone gains ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon