110 volt welder & 5/64 rods

I bought this welder to do little repair jobs around the house and could take it somewhere and weld without needing to rig up a 220 volt connection.

It's supposed to use 1/16", 5/64", 3/32" rods and weld up to 1/4" steel.

Using t 3/32 rods to weld 1/8" steel the welder overheats after three minutes and turns off for fifteen minutes.

I found some 1/16" rods that don't do much on the 1/8" steel but might do better when used on the 16 gage sheet steel but haven't tried that yet.

Would it be worth the time, money and effort to order

5/64" rods?

Will they be able to weld up to 3/16" steel which is what I really need it to do?

***
Reply to
Daddy O

This is a light duty machine suitable for small repair jobs. 3/16" plate requiring several rods is not really "small"

Sounds like your welder is forcing you to a 20% duty cycle, just about what I'd expect from this class of machine. You might be able to push this a bit by putting a heavy duty air blast on the windings.

3/16" plate might be doable with the 3/32" rod if the rod burns cleanly and gives a decent bead. You will likely need to do a couple of passes. Clean well after the first pass. Of course with your duty cycle this will take a LONG time. The only rod that will work in this case is 6011

The 5/64" rod is best suited for 18ga to 14 ga (.049" to .084")

Daddy O wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ