16 gauge SS questions

I have some 16 gauge stainless to weld and have been having some trouble getting the control I am used to when I weld the same thickness in ms.
Tungsten size 1/16. Filler 1/16 ss rod. Amps max 50 (using a torch head control). Butt weld.
I can get the puddle I want but the rod just cools the puddle too much. I've been practicing and have been getting consistently better results. It looks like I might be able to get a good weld if I keep at the practice. (I find I have to fudge a bit: make puddle, dip to produce a little glob, melt the glop into what remains of the puddle, all the while keep the rod very close to the arc to keep it very hot.)
So I checked with my local (small town) independent welding supply and found I can get .030 (and up) mig wire. But it comes in 25 lb spools! Yikes! I didn't even ask the price.
I know a guy who works in the shop at the hospital where I work and they might have some ss wire. I suppose I could buy a bunch off a spool at a local welding shop.
Am I on track here?
TIA, David Todtman

Your filler is too large. 0.045" is good for 16 ga sheet.

Try to find 0.045" wire, either in cut length or a MIG spool.
See if they have 2 lb. spoolgun spools.

As recent learner of TIG, can absolute back up what Ernie says. Well, obviously. What I mean to say is - use oversized filler wire and you make your learning difficult to say the least. you get this cool-down & overheat cycle which will tend to defeat your effort to learn good technique. It's a fact of life with TIG - you need to get hold of the correct size wire - that you have the correct filler but in the wrong size doesn't help.
Richard Smith

So right you are. What was interesting, however, is that with the glop and drop method I was beginning to get a somewhat acceptable looking weld. Enough of that. I asked for and got a 2lb spool.
Ciao, David Todtman