220V 50 A with 6-2?

After all this, I've begun to realize that you can talk and talk and talk to no end about what the code is, what one person does vs. another, what some equation tells you very generally about ampacity, etc. etc. etc... it comes down to settling with some sound advice, observing the specifications of the parts you purchase, and being sane. There is so much confusion about what the NEC says, it just blows me away. Standards are supposed to create clarity, not confusion. If the plug is rated to 20A, don't put it on a 50A breaker, if the wire says "rated to 60A" don't run 80A through it, if the motor says DC, don't plug it into an AC circuit, etc, etc, etc. I'm going with Al Patrick's advice and am going to "get to work".

Footy wrote:

formula that

conductor at

therefore

Reply to
stag5353

The way I read it for welders #6 with no more than 3 current carring conductors in a cable or race would be good for about 75 amps at 100% duty cycle on the welder. Unless you use TW or UF you could use #8 and be fine. My 2005 NEC is on CD and I am still getting used to the search feature but I think I like it a lot :) Hook it up and go make some sparks :)

Reply to
Glenn