Spot Welding Nuts

Does anyone out there have any expieriance welding (resistance welding?) nuts on to .083 sheet metal. Need to attatch 3600 5/16 nuts to some .083 mild steel Stampings. Once had heard about something called projection welding where special nuts were manufactured with protrusions to assist spot welding of them . Trying to find some info or at least a dirrection to go

Thanks in advance John Kish

Reply to
John Kish

Very common method. decent data sheets here:

You can get them in all sorts of configurations. The ones I've seen used most are square like an old fashioned stove bolt nut, have 4 projections that make the high resistance contact with the base metal, and have a protruding ring that centers the nut in the proper spot. See P/N WP2701 at Ohio Nut. For your 5/16" nuts the pilot hole would be 3/8". If the base metal is already drilled, you can use the no shoulder version but you need some sort of fixture to align the nut with the hole.

It does take a fairly decent sized spot welder. It's been a while so I'm not sure > Does anyone out there have any expieriance welding (resistance welding?)

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks for the info

Reply to
John Kish

They also have welding data on the site, I don't know if you saw this:

Eide

Reply to
Eide

Reply to