3 phase Bobcats, etc.

Given that there have been several topics on 3 phase welders running on

1 phase power, rotary converters, phase shifters, etc. What is the concencus( if there is one) on the 3 phase Bobcat welder ?

It would seem to; Be an OK AC/DC CC/CV power source for multi process. Be able to put out 10 or 11Kw of 3 phase that could support medium/high current tig and plasma cutting machines. Probably/perhaps cost effective, given that a rotary converter in this capacity is about 60% of the Bobcat's price and domestic wiring 'might' need upgrading to support a converter. Independant of power company's reluctance to bring in 3 ph. Portable, though heavy.

Against that; noise, exhaust smoke, weight, need to be outside, or at least vented to outside.

Thoughts please ?

tnx

Reply to
2regburgess

You forgot "running cost" - fuel, oil, filters and any other maintenence. If you can make power for less than double what the power company is charging you for power, I'd be surprised. Triple or more is not unusual. It's one thing if you need portability, or the power company will not connect to you without charging an arm and a leg. With a power connection in place already, a phase converter and rewiring is a one-time cost, while running a generator is an on-going expense, on top of the expense to buy it in the first place.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Not exactly "forgot", more "ignored" (-: Usage would be relatively low, so cost per kilowatt hour ,,, Yeah, I know - so why dump all that capital into a low use machine ? I'm still weighing the alternatives; costs AND benefits. Per inch or pound of weldment they're all pretty bad and "take it to a welding shop" is the usual rational answer. Buying a boat to catch dinner doesn't make economic sense either. Its just that I want to DO this.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
2regburgess

Well, then, find your local "surplus ad paper" (and/or website) and keep an eye on it. Engine driven welders show up with some regularity, a whole lot cheaper than new.

Reply to
Ecnerwal