Al-GMAW - straight run or whipping motion?

Hi again
Al-GMAW
Some say - straight run Others say - weave or "whip"
You say??
Rich S

"Richard Smith" wrote in message
Hi again
Al-GMAW
Some say - straight run Others say - weave or "whip"
You say??
Rich S
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

Latest - running smoothly 5083 Al plate 6mm thickness 5356 GMAW wire 1.2mm (47thou") diameter in spray at 9.8m/min (385"/min) and about 22.8V reported. Smooth run, no manipulation. Looks good. Is good?
Only remaining problem is the restarts. Often burn-back to the torch / contactor tip. Blob of Al against contactor tip which prizes off without harm if quick off the trigger. Not yet worked out how to avoid that.
If I could solve that, I'd be doing rather well. No other problems remaining
I'm left totally puzzled why Pulse is used on this 6mm thickness when you'd be a "clean" spray anyway...
In spray doing overhead - 4F/PD - no metal ejection, not getting burned. Basis to insist on CV spray, as getting covered in burns using Pulse, which was ejecting a drop of spatter per pulse.
Now finding every other position good.
I was worried the weld beads are too smooth suggesting excessive heat input - but - am on only about 210A to 220A (Linc.Elec. A for 9.8m/min with 1.2mm-dia wire) at just under 23V - low-end of L.E. volts range. - any drop in V by a tiny amount or wire-feed-speed / Amps causes a coarse unwetted bead and raspy arc - only just in spray indicate the concern is misplaced - the beads are smooth and that is the way it is not problem (the reference state being Pulse welded bead appearance)
Rich S